It's A Good Thing My Wife Loves Me

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Two or three times, actually. :D
    Right now I just have a big loop going around the table so I can run trains in the interim and the rest of the table is covered with boxes and parts.
  2. Geno

Geno Member

At least you are running trains- mine only get run if I take them down to the club (about 40 mi. each way through LA traffic).

I 'm going to try to find a fabricator to do my stud rail who isn't making a boat payment with my job- they all seem to think that this part is going on an airplane, judging by what they're quoting me to make it.

3. simmonds

simmonds Member

Geno - 40 miles through LA traffic to run some trains!??? One way! OUCH! Go get yourself some Fastrack and throw down a temporary loop so you can run some trains in the interim.

Man I am surprised there are no clubs there in the Castaic area or even in Saugus or Newhall. That area is growing like MAD. I lived in Saugus up Bouquet Canyon from 1970 to 1988 and LOVED the area back then. Have been up here in Oregon ever since and although I love the green and living in a forest, I do miss the long summers, mild winters and great mountain biking terrain you have there in Castaic. Take care. Chris
  4. Cannonball

I agree with simmonds on that one, Geno. Find yourself some 3 rail track for a temp layout and run some trains already. :D

I've never been big on the who idea of hobby clubs anyway. Too many diehards that think their way is the only way to do anything. If you do it any other way then it's wrong. Doesn't matter if it works or not. It's still wrong.

Model rocketry is espcially bad about that. I think I violated every rule in the handbook with that hobby before I gave it up and came back to trains. I never got to build my Mythbusters missle though.

Thank God for tinplate and O27 gauge. :D
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Model Rockets :) There is something to owning several hundred acreas. :) Thanks CB now you gave me another thing to spend money on.
  6. Cannonball

That is another reason I gave it up. I built two 5 foot rockets and then realized I lived in the middle of town with nowhere to launch them. :rolleyes:

The family farm is a 4 hour drive back up to Iowa, so that was out and most people didn't want me launching rockets on their property. (Afraid of lawsuits if somebody got hurt or that the feds would think we were terrorists launching weapons)

Between that and the strict club restrictions to launch at any events, I finally just gave up and sold most of my stuff on eBay. I kept one launcher and both 5 foot rockets though..... just in case. ;)
  7. Geno

Geno Member

Angel's Gate Hi-Railers (AGHR), the club where I run trains, has their layout in a former barracks that measures 20' x 100', so while the drive is long it's worth it. I used to live in South Pasadena, and the drive was only 30 mins. then, but we lived in an apartment. At least now I have a layout, even if it's still not quite operational it will be someday soon.

The club dynamic is different, and sometimes it turns into a pissing contest, but overall it gives you the opportunity to run your trains on a huge layout you would otherwise never have access to. I've been a member of AGHR for almost 5 years now, and have met a good bunch of train addicts like myself.

I could easily put some track down on my layout, now that the first level benchwork is done, but I'm trying to avoid doing that, as I know that will distract me from getting all of that new track set down. Hopefully next month I can get some stud rail made up, get the track down, and get some trains running then.

Chris- funny you should mention you grew up in SCV. I moved from Salem, OR back in 2001 (lived there for about six years). I miss OR alot, but my sister and her family still live there so I have an excuse to go up at least once a year to visit her, as well as friends I have up there.

8. Cannonball

Order Shipped!

Just got the confirmation e-mail from Wholesale trains that my new track shipped out today and should be delivered on Thursday! [​IMG]
  9. Geno

Geno Member

How's the layout building going? Lots of 027 being sold on Ebay if you're interested.

10. Cannonball

The track wont' be here until tomorrow.
    That's if UPS is running on time.
    I hope I can get started putting the track together this weekend if I don't have too much other stuff going on. It's going to be interesting because I think I'm going to have to move my layout table away from the wall so I have access all the way around it. My wife will love having that big green 4x8 smack in the middle of our living room again. :D