It was cheap, that's why.

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I got the PC Big 10 express 2 -10-2 for a handful of beans.
But, what is it.
What are the hoppers and why are they brick red?

Attachments

• hopper.JPG
    hopper.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 125

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The hoppers are Great Lakes iron ore cars. I don't know how accurate the colour is as they are rare in Southern Ontario. The cars are short because iron ore is heavy and the ore docks on the Great Lakes were built a long time ago for this length car (the hopper spacing) and they never changed them.
The red colour might be a way to make iron rust less visible.

M

Maico Shark

Great buy, I think David is right on the mark with his ID info. Question is...can just one be enough?

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I had no idea these issues were available, and at the PC club to boot. Wow!
Engine 6060 runs out of Stettler AB, 1 1/2 hrs from Calgary.
It's next.

I've Googled till I can't ogle and can't find out...

Is the large cylinder atop the nose a sand box?
Is the loco an oil burner?
Does the tender hold oil and water?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
If there's a large cylinder on top of the boiler, just in front of the stack, it's a feedwater heater. Water from the tender is routed up there and warmed by exhaust steam or hot air from the firebox (not sure how, I'll check).
The cylindrical type was often by Elesco. There was another by Coffin which was bent around the front of the smokebox door. And I think some were inside the smokebox.
You can tell if it burns oil or coal by looking at the compartment at the front of the tender. A coal burner will be open at the top and usually have the representation of a full coal load. An oil burner will have the top closed, possibly with some sort of hatches modelled. Water goes at the back of the tender and under the fuel. You can often tell just where by looking at rivet lines on the side. 6060 has a Vanderbilt tender with a cylindrical water tank; you can easily see the coal/oil vs water containers on them.

I think the 2-10-2 was a big bust for PC. They didn't produce anything the next year. The sets sold for about $100 but are offered at a 50% to 100% markup at train shows.