It started with a brush!

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by webmaster, May 16, 2006.

1. webmaster

webmaster Member

For many years I have done all of my painting & weathering with enamels, chalk and a few brushes, (I'd hate to think how many brushes I have bought over the years :D ) with the occasional appearance from automobile aerosol canned paint.

I recently bought a compressor and 2 airbrushes off of eBay and I plan to venture in to the world of acrylics. I noticed that there are quite a few different types of acrylics for sale, some that are fired, some that are not and some for outdoor use!

• Are there any acrylics that are better than others, any that I should steer clear of, or are they all basically the same?
    • Has any one got any tips for someone new to airbrushing?
  2. Catt

Catt Guest

The only acrylics that I've airbrushed are Badger Model-Flex (I like this paint :D ) and the Poly scale paints and the ModelMaster line of paints.

I'm planning on trying my hand on some of the craft types this summer.I've been told thier thinning requirements are different so it should be interesting to try.

I've been doing a lot of brush painting lately with the craft type paints and have found out that the more expencive brushes give a much smoother finish.:D
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The craft paints are quite a bit thicker than the model paints like Badger model flex, and Floquil Poly scale. I like denatured alcohol to thin them with. Distilled water will thin them, but the water doesn't evaporate as fast as the alcohol, and if you try to seal them afterwards with dull coat, any water left in the paint still evaporating will cause the dull coat to turn milky. I've tried isopropal in the past, and sometimes have had it "shock" the paint, like adding laquer thinner to enamel. 90% isopropal works better than 70% in my experience, but both contain some water which will cause problems with dull coat. If you use a water based acrylic flat finish to seal things afterward, you won't have any milkyness problems.