Israeli A4N beta build from

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Emil_Zarkov

Emil_Zarkov Member

Hi Ted, Moshe and all.
    I’m following with the great interest the progress of the A4N beta build.
    Till now everything is done as I expected. The only error that concerns the geometry of the kit that occurred is the horizontal former that belongs to the central part of the fuselage and helps the wing to be positioned. I forgot to correct its shape with the card thickness offset. Now this is OK. I also deleted the unwonted front wing light, deleted the IMER/ITERS from the kit and substituted them with MER/TERs that were used during the Moshe Army service. I believe that now everything is OK.
    I sent to Moshe the TER parts as a separate sheet and I believe that you’ll recognize them even without numbering, following the instruction picture that I sent to the forum. Please note that the new design of the bombs slightly differ from that what you have and build. This concerns their attachment points to the racks holders. So you can use already build bombs but the 0.5 mm gap between their attach positions and the holders are on my own. The displacement is almost invisible if the viewer doesn’t know this, but nevertheless I’m obligated to warn you about this.
  2. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Not much of skills (mine). I meant to say that ted earned this kit, and he gets to keep it :)

The Bi-Centennial we'll be next, but still can't promise a date :oops:

3. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

These two parts are mud covers, protecting the cannons from any dirt, spread by the spinning wheels, when they are folded up after take off.
    I'm preparing pictures of them and of the MER. Will send them to you along with the MER file that Emil sent me.

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

More teeth for the scooter...

Dr Zarkov recommended placeing 2 Aim-9s out on the outer pylons, so construction began with the pylons, parts shown here. Nothing spectacular but neat and detailed none the less...
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here's the pylon installed with one of the Sidewinders... They were pretty straightforwad, tubes with 2 separate conic sections for the nose, and fins.
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And the other one... And now for something completely differant...
  7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The whole purpose of the A4, was an attack aircraft and as such it needs to drop bombs. I've built up the Mk 82s and have been waiting for A MER, multi eject rack from the good Doctor and man did he come through! Here's a pic of the parts sheet. This thing has as many parts as a small destroyer model!
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I started with the fwd piece of the rack, which was a bear to build. It took 2 trys but it is do-able. I cut off the little nose piece that was attached to the assembly as seen on the inset. This allowed the piece to be gently coaxed into shape. The rear former helps maintain the shape while forming. Heres a pic of the head and body part...
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

That body part contains @ 6 little formers @ 2-3mm in size! There is a pic with the pylon formed up and the bottom bomb eject parts installed. You should cut out the little black slot as on the real rack... The mounting rail is seen on top of the rack body...
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Next are the side bomb racks. The are 2 little bracket pieces per rack that should go on...They mount the bombs to the Mer
  11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The rack so far, side pieces installed, now onto the mounting assembly...
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here is the mounting rail with the actual pieces, in orange, that hold the rack to the pylon. The little cylinder stubs are are shown by the lugs. These apply counter tension on the real rack I'm told and look neat with the simulted pylon hanger... Also are 2 of the Mk 82s, couldn't resist!
  13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And the attachment to the pylon... There are a couple little details to be added, 2 small electric boxes and 6 plugs and wires to be run into the bomb ejectors...
  14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And the completed assebly ready to mount...
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Side view...
  16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And aft looking forward... That's it for tonight, 2 fuel tanks to build, mount the bombs and then she'll be done. Oh for 2 more interuption free hours!
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Splendid! How do you manage to get even one interuption free hour?
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

ok.......... WOW again!

Snake-eyes would have been nicer, but these dumb bombs look great too!

Man I love this build so far, but my fat fingers are not up to the challenge,

hmmmmmmmmm........... maybe I could Texman to build the MERs and weapons............. not his scale but surely small enough for him to build!:grin:

Ted......... you still amaze me, even though each time you do something like this I say.... "He CAN'T top that"............. you always do!

19. Clashster

Clashster Member

As stated before, WOW! Great job! And great looking design! This one seems kind of daunting... I really like it, but I'm a bit intimidated!!!

20. Rev

Rev Member

My four year old saw me looking at this build and asked me to build him one. If you aren't going to do anything with this model later, he would like to have it. (He told me to ask you.) One note form me, his dad, he is rather hard on all the models I build for him. I can't wait to see him build one.

Thanks, you are doing a great job and we all have enjoyed what we have seen.