ISO Smart Car

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by Texman, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Texman

Texman Guest

My father in law is visiting us here in Germany, and has fallen
    for the the Smart car. I have searched all I know and have not
    found a paper model of one. Does anyone know if there is one?

I would like to build him one to take back with him.

GW, oh linkmaster, you got one?

Thanks all,

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Tex,

LOL, well I will sure look and see what I can find for ya. just gimme abit.

You are talkin bout this little jewel arent ya? ( and I do mean little)

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  3. Texman

Texman Guest

Yup, that's it.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Tex,

Ok.......I have searched High and Low, over and under, up and down. But to no Avail. I think It may be abit too "NEW" for a model to be out of it yet. However................... I dont know how creative you are or if you have access to "photo editing" programs, but, I have had a little success before taking four photos (front, back, left side, right side) and creating simple models. And I did find a 360º flash player which gives you a "walk around".

Now this is only an idea....and probably a hairbrained one at that, but, if you have pdf 995 and can create .pdf's (or if you know how to make a screen shot), you can position the car photo in four different poses, ie...front, left, right, rear, and save them.
    And with a program like "photomodeler lite" (found here: ) or this program...
    "Real2Virtual Modeller and Viewer 2.02" which is a 2d to 3d modeler, found at: as a free download, you might be able to create your own model using the photos you saved.

Below are the claims made by the photomodeler lite program:

PhotoModeler Lite v3.1a Description:
    turns photographs into three-dimensional models. PhotoModeler Lite is based on photogrammetry; the science of extracting data from photographs. With PhotoModeler Lite, you can create 3D models from photos, complete with points, lines, surfaces, and mapped phototextures. The newly-created model can be saved in DXF, 3DS, and VRML format for use in a variety of applications such as animation, engineering, architecture and Web publishing. PhotoModeler can import TIFF, JPEG, GIF, BMP, TGA, PCX, PCT, and PSD image file formats. (so you would have to convert the .pdf's to jpegs or other acceptable formats).

And here is the description of the "Real2Virtual Modeller and Viewer 2.02" below:

Real2Virtual Modeller enables you to generate 3D VRML models from digital-camera images, graphical images, or from free-hand line drawings.

No special equipment is needed to use the program and models may be generated even without a camera. Complex 24-bit colour texture-mapped models can be created by simply drawing around objects seen in the images, or by drawing freehand.

Objects with sub-parts, complex shapes and fine details can be modelled accurately and quickly. Over 120 cameras are now directly supported and unsupported cameras can be used by following a simple calibration procedure.

Models can be viewed using Real2Virtual Viewer which is included, or published to the web as very compact VRML1.0 or VRML2.0/VRML97 files.

Now I have tried the "photomodeler lite" before but not the other one. But I had a computer crash and lost it and never reloaded it. And I was using a camera at the time and didnt have a chance to play with it with internet photos (its hard to find all the views you need, thats why the walk around above might work.
    I know I have gone off on a tangient with the photo modeling program discussion, but I will continue to look for a "SMART CAR" model and when/if I find one I will post it in this thread. Like I said, I think maybe the car is too "new" to have a model out.

Anyway, sorry I couldnt help ya, have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  5. Texman

Texman Guest

Thanks GW. I'm knee deep in some education, 2 boys soccer season, work,
    and even a couple o'models. But I'll research the software and see if I
    have the talents to work it.

Thanks for the searches, I came up negative as well.

6. rowiac

rowiac Member

Mizorogi Akira created a simple Smart Car model a while back. In my archive the model is dated December 2001, which would be the date I downloaded it. I checked his home page:

and he doesn't have any models on it, just references to them. There is also a Digital Paper Car CD with models created by him, but the Smart Car does not appear to be one of them.

Here's a preview of what he created.

Attached Files:

7. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

<My father in law is visiting us here in Germany, and has fallen
    for the the Smart car. >

LOL. My cousin's wife did the same thing back in 2001, She is still in love with it, we now refer to it not as a Smart, but as Rose's car. Nice little piece of kit for in town, a bit under powered for the autobahn though.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Ray,

Ok, I dont know if you ever got a copy of the smart car or not, but I found a simple one....maybe the same one mentioned above, I am not sure. But I was looking in the wrong place to find this one lol, instead of looking under automobiles, I shoulda been looking under "catfish"....cause i found the car on a link while looking for catfish models lol.
    Anyway, here is the link:

And below is a photo of the car....its a simple model, but its a simple little car lol:

have a good eveing, hope this helps,

Greg aka GW

9. goney3

goney3 Member

Wow!... Photo modeler is incredible! ... I shall tackle this project as soon as I have some free time. I have been obsessed with the Smart Car since it came out. I even flew to France to test drive one while on vacation... I have some great reference pictures I can scan from a brochure they sent me.

I found Photo modeler a lot easier to follow along with than other 3D programs I have seen and tried. And the video tutorials really help a lot! :)

Anywho, back to lurking in the shadows...

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Goney,

Well first let me welcome you to the forum, we are glad to have ya here.
    I am glad ya like the photo modelers program, however I found it thru another post by another member here months ago. Unfortunately I dont remember who it was that posted it originally.
    But yeah its a neat program, I had it and then had my puter crash on me and lost it, so now i dont have it.......(I have been working alot of OT at work lately and just havent gotten around to downloading it again).
    But I am glad that you took time to check it out, its well worth the effort.
    Anyway, again, welcome to the forum and I know I speak for the others when I say we'd all love to see what you have done or will do with the program.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  11. rickstef

rickstef Guest

12. Texman

Texman Guest

Thanks Rick!

13. yourmom

yourmom New Member

Found One

There is one at
  14. Kaz

Kaz Member

but the linkie doesnt link :-(
    ah, its the same site as two posts up :)
  15. rickstef

rickstef Guest

16. hpept

hpept Member

17. modelincard

modelincard Member

Shoot, I missed it.[​IMG]But I did pick up a nice VW Passat.[​IMG](My family's car is a silver Passat, so I may repaint it.)
  18. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Couple more Smart cars, but it seems that I can only get the red version, whereas the General Lee version would be cool to go with Rick's(The_Webdude) repaint of a Hummer

19. michik

michik Member