ISO information source

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by AMW, Oct 11, 2006.

1. AMW

AMW New Member

Hello, this is my first time visiting your forum and I am hoping you can point me in the right direction.

I am a pastry chef/sugar artist who is building a model train out of cake! I am trying to find an online source to give me exact outside dimensions of a (preferably) O gauge train. I need the dimensions for an engine, a coal car, flatbed, and caboose. Real life dimensions would work, also, or if I have to go small HO scale.

Can you help? Thank you-thank you-thank you!
  2. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Welcome AMW. That's a tough question. My only suggestion would be to find a Lionel owner or club and physically measure the equipment that you want to create.
    Sounds like an intriguing project. Put some photo's on The Gauge when you get it finished. Or better yet we love "in progress" photo's. Can I lick the bowl when you are finished?
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

You might also check for a local hobby shop in the area that sells Lionel trains. I was into a Kaybee toy store tonight and they had a battery powered train running on plastic track that was the same size as LGB. The train set was only $30.00, but if there is a toy store near you, they might have a train set up and running.
  4. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Cool project. If you have some engines or cars that don't quite turn out the way you'd like...I'd bet there's plenty of people here that will be willing to take 'em off your hands and serve them up. You may want to make a trip to your local hobby shop after calling to see if they carry O Gauge and measure them yourself. I'd guess they would have one set opened for display - or would be willing to open one up for your cause. That way you could see what each really look like and make a better decision what to try to incorporate into the baking/designing process and what to skip. But hey...I'm barely a modeler and absolutely not a I'm sure there will be others here with some good ideas for you.
  5. railohio

railohio Active Member

There isn't an exact size for an O scale model since they all represent different pieces of equipment from the real world. As was mentioned your best bet would probably be to find some Lionel equipment and take measurements. I do wish you the best of luck; this sounds like a very enjoyable endeavor!
  6. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

One other suggestion would be, if the local hobby shop will let you measure Lionel trains for your project, take along a digital camera to get picks of the train for reference when you decorate it. Sounds like a great project. Too bad I won't get to taste it!