Is this too much?

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Gary S., Nov 20, 2006.

1. iis612

iis612 Member

I think they look GREAT!!!
    Can you tell me how you got the effect with the white lettering running off? That looks Terrific!!
  2. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

They look fabulous. Has my mind whirring... I have never done weathering per se, but having been a custom scrapbooker for a couple of years, looks similar to our distressing techniques. Hmmm........ I may even have some supplies on hand! WOO HOO
  3. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Most of the white letter fade onto the car was done with some thinned off-white water-based hobby paint. Sometimes it can be done with a little alcohol on the letters and then drag down with a paint brush. Start easy with this technique, make sure it isn't going to mess up the paint too much. Some brands of cars work well with a mild alcohol wash over them, others may not react so friendly. The fade could also be done with some white weathering powder. The best thing to do is experiment and see what you like best.
  4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Gary:wave:, VERY NICE!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: that last pic just knocks MY SOCKS OFF!!!:thumb:

GOOD JOB! :D -Deano
  5. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

I appreciate that, especially coming from someone who has done such a good job on your rollingstock. That last pic is an upgraded $3 LifeLike off the bargain bin. The photo above it though, I am just now noticing the vacant spots around the grabs. Yuck. I'll have to touch that up. Still, it will probably suffice for the 3 foot rule on the layout.
  6. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Your weathering job on those boxcars looks A-OK to me, Gary! :thumb:

7. iis612

iis612 Member

Thanks Gary :thumb: :)
  8. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Mole: "Oh my, this is all too much!!"
    Rat: "Do you really think so? It's only what I usually take on these little excursions."

(or something like that):D :D

And later came the Great Train Chase...
  9. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

WOW!!! I really like the variation in the weathering of the cars. I too have experimented with chalks, but have yet to seal them with any dull coat or other product. (Let us know how the hairspray works.) The work on the doors IMHO is what really makes it look real to me. I like the dirt and grime in and around the door and frames. I found the color I liked on burgandy (boxcar red?) cars was yellow. That color seemed to me the best to lighten up the car with a sun baked appearance. So I used a mixture of white with yellow and thought the results were like pictures I've seen of various dark red/burgandy/boxcar red cars.
  10. Seaboard

Seaboard Member

HOLY COW!!:eek: They almost look like real rail cars. I'd call that a job well done!