Is this too much?

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Gary S., Nov 20, 2006.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Would like some honest opinions and critique of some cars I weathered. I am doing my entire fleet, and before I go any further, I want to make sure what I am doing is okay.

I possibly did too much on these cars and made them into rustbuckets. What do you think?

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      File size:
      56.3 KB
    • 002.jpg
      File size:
      55.3 KB
    • 003.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
    • 004.jpg
      File size:
      56.2 KB
  2. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Oh, BTW, I still need to do some of thetrucks and wheels....

Here are a few more:

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
    • 006.jpg
      File size:
      58.2 KB
    • 007.jpg
      File size:
      55.2 KB
    • 008.jpg
      File size:
      60.1 KB
  3. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Not too much, in my opinion.... I like the yellow diagonal stripe. Did you see that somewhere?

4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

No I do not think it is too much - but as you noted the trucks should match the rest... ;). The best check for whether you've overdone it though, is prototype photos. It does not have to be the exact car, but should be taken in the era you are modelling.

E.g. my steamers will be mostly clean and shiny, as in the pre-WW2 era, there was a) lots of cheap labour (Depression) and b) the engines needed to be maintained. Contrast this with the 1950s, when many of the same engines would still be running. However, they are likely to be dirty and not well maintained (except running gear), with patch jobs and swapped tenders. This is because their replacements - diesels - are entering the roster in huge numbers every day...! :( They only needed to stick around long enough for the infernal combustion beasties to arrive.

5. lionelfan

lionelfan Member

Looks very realistic IMHO. I agree the trucks need to be weathered also.
  6. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Ek, the yellow stripe was on the door already... Athearn RTR. I assume Athearn did their research.

I am experimenting with ways to lighten the overall color of the cars. If anyone has any suggestions on how to lighten the factory paint-jobs, I am listening. What I am trying to do is mimic a sun-faded car, plus I am trying to make things a shade or two lighter than the real thing in line with my thread concerning colors in the General Forum.
  7. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Some of these I like, a couple of them don't please me. I need to do better with trying to fade the lettering and where the lettering paint has washed down onto the color of the car body. Some of them look "crusty" around the letters. Instead of using full strength paint, I need to water it down some.

I have also been experimenting with using hair spray, the kind that comes in a pump bottle, as a sealer for the weathering powders. Anyone tried that? You can even mix in a bit of cream colored water-based hobby paint to give the car a "faded" look... still experimenting with this.
  8. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

I am modeling the late 1960s (I think). I haven't really spent any time looking for photos from back then. I do drive by the Santa Fe Mykawa Yard down here in Houston. It is a small industrial yard that feeds several industries.

Anyway, the cars I see are generally in TERRIBLE shape cosmetically. Talk about rust buckets! So, I think my subconscious makes me want my cars to look like those. But were the cars in the 60s generally kept in better condition?

Anyone have thoughts or some links to some 1960s photos?
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Try Lots (LOTS!!) of pictures, with dates and location by railroad. A bit slow to load, but probably one of the most comprehensive on the web.

(Note that the "fallen flags" name does not mean that current railroads are omitted ;)).

10. viperman

viperman Active Member

I think you should pack up all those BN cars and send them to me!

They all look very well done, but I do agree with you that the trucks need to match
  11. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

I think the weathering looks great!

Don't worry too much about having some beat up freight cars. From what we see out there in the real world, they're not too pretty in most cases. In my opinion, the best thing you can have is variety by not making them all look the same. Some will look "well used" and others will be beaten all to heck and nearly falling apart. With everything in between.

You can't get weathering down to a science, and shouldn't. There needs to be a certain X Factor involved, and you can't plan that.
  12. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Gary S.,i think you have done a GREAT JOB!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: looking forward to seeing more of it:thumb:. :D -Deano
  13. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Nope, not to much, they look great and way better than shinny plastic cars. Nice Job and keep it up:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  14. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Thanks again for the comments.:)

I've been hanging around the "Model Trains Weathered" website and some of the weathering work over there is phenomenal.... downright unbelievable. If you haven't looked at that site, you should.

But over here at my house, where I have over 100 cars to weather, there just isn't enough time to spend days and weeks on one piece. Over the past couple of days, I weathered 6 blue L&N boxcars... using an alcohol wash, then colored pencils, then weathering powder, then brushed on liquid hairspray with a bit of cream colored paint mixed in it. They turned out pretty good I think. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
  15. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Sweet...nice work and well proportioned so as not to look too decrepit:thumb: .
  16. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Looks great to me! Those cars have seen some service and been exposed to the elements. Except for the absence of grafitti (which seems appropriate to the time period of your equipment for the most part) their condition looks a lot like the way the real ones rolling through my neighborhood look.
  17. ejen34

ejen34 Member

IMHO each unit pictured looks fine :thumb:
  18. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Thanks again for the wonderful compliments. It is somewhat gratifying, because of all the excellent excellent modeling I see here on The Gauge, makes me feel I might just have a tiny bit of modeling skill and with some luck, maybe I can put together a nice layout.

One thing I learned from posting this thread is I need to build a little diorama board with track and ground cover for taking the photos. An added bonus would be to get some scenery building practice, of which I have none up to this point.

I'll post some more photos of some blue L&N box cars later... and some cabooses and tank cars too.
  19. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Here are some L&N cars that were weathered with an alcohol wash, then colored pencils, then some weathering powder and liquid hairspray. These things were mass produced and didn't recieve the loving care they should have had :( .

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      File size:
      59.2 KB
    • 12.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
    • 13.jpg
      File size:
      51.9 KB
    • 14.jpg
      File size: