Is this thing on?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by pcentral, Aug 1, 2002.

1. pcentral

pcentral Member

Is this forum still on ? Why is it everytime I check it seems all the other forums have new messages but this one. I have a 4'x8' layout that is my version of the Lionel disappearing train dealer layout from 1950. The difference is I have both O and S gauge on it. Sitting in my storage room is my 12'x28' modular O gauge layout that I take to GATS shows here in CA. And last but not least I am putting G gauge out in the yard. So lets here what you all have. Also, I saw a great article in Garden Railways about stone buildings. Does anyone know where I can find other ideas for structures?
  2. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

G scale is gaining a following, but is still "new" enough that it hasn't the popularity of other scales. S scale, while around for as long as time, has a smaller following. HO, and N are by far the most popular, so you'll see more interest in them.
    I don't read "garden railways" so am not sure what the article on "stone buildings" covered, but as for ideas on structures, articles in any scale can be used for inspiration. Working in a larger ( or smaller) scale only requires different choices for building materials, and possibly, building techniques.
    The rapid spread of the "photo modifying bug", in other areas of the-gauge, is a good example of how interest in a subject can be generated by a few posts.
    Got pictures????:D :D :D
  3. billk

billk Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge, pcentral.

As Pete said, not to many O/S/G scalers here. But there are a lot of guys here who can and will brain-storm the heck out of any problem you want to bring up!

RE: Structures - one thing that strikes me as being different from the other scales is, if your building it for outdoor use, you might have worry less about the finer details and worry more about making it sure it stands up to wind, sun and rain (snow, hurricanes, whatever). Using cardstock as a building material probably won't cut it.
  4. BDC

BDC Member

I always thought that it was the weight of this forum that kept it from being too active. Get too many O and G sized posts on here and the whole thing collapses. On the Nscale forum, we can run several posts at a time without fear of catastrophe. Who ever said that good things come in small packages was certainly thinking 1:160.;)
  5. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

"Whoever said that good things come in small packages,was certainly thinking 1:160"...............................?
    Maybe that"s why I like HO"n"3 :D :D :D :rolleyes: :D
  6. billk

billk Active Member

C'mpn guys, focus on the subject! Which was ...uh...oh yeah!

Speaking of stone buildings, maybe you could build the basic shape out of plywood or whatever, glue small stones onto the sides, and fill in the spaces with grouting of some kind?
  7. pcentral

pcentral Member

Your right on track (pun intended). The article showed how to make the structure using 1/4" plywood and cover the walls with blocks you make from Bondo. Then as you say fill in the seams with grout. It makes an excellent, detailed structure. My garden layout is themed around the late 1800's, so I am looking for ideas for adobe buildings or something similiar. If nothing else I at least got some activity started on this forum. And yeah, yeah I know take pictures. I plan to anyhow as I am planning on selling the Lionel display layout replica I built.
  8. billk

billk Active Member

Shouldn't be to hard to put an adobe-like texture over plywood - stucco, maybe? Get the color right and make it a kinda rough surface. Or what the heck, learn how to do real adobe and ...
  9. wsdimenna

wsdimenna New Member

adobe: indoors
    Durham's putty over base..Natural color may pass for color of adobe as is. This is for indoor only unless you can come up a coating for it. Very water allergric
    I couldn't tell it you wanted the adobe for indoors or out.

bill d