Is this site closeing down :(

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by allhallowseve, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I thought about that as well. People who ask for unavailable files just as guilty as those who host them and distribute.

UHU made the models and reserves the right to pull them any time he wishes. The only thing is, once you have let the cat out of the bag, it's out there and hard to control and it boils down to trusting the downloader to respect the artist like any other digital file on the net.

Guess we will just have more pictures of models instead of models we can build.

I hope at the very least to see such.
  2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I agree wholeheartedly about the designers right to what he may wish with his or her models. But one has to wonder about releasing a model on the internet and expecting to have control over it. Once it is about it will remain in cyberspace virtually forever. I didn't try the wayback machine but I have found numuerous models that way. If your going to release it, release it, stop being so naive about the distribution. I surely doubt Arthur C. Clarke was asked for permission to model his ships, and he was notorious for destroying the modelsl so no one else would use them in their Sci-Fi shows. There are many models out there where permission has not been asked but the models are produced anyway. It is a double standard. I did download all of his models and I personally don't pass any one unless the model is still available. Ihave given models to friends who don't have computers and I am sure that probably offended someone somewhere.
  3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Perhaps he was giving it out as a gift, temporarily, as a courtesy? I don't know, but it is the artists right to do as he wishes, is it not?

Regards asking for models.... I had a resent HD crash and asked a friend for Uhu's models, but I didn't come out and ask for them in a public forum, after they were gone. I was just trying to replace what I already had, but had lost.

Perhaps the best way would have been to ask Uhu himself.

Virtually everyone knows how I feel about the copyright thing, but I do respect others wishes.

I think it all comes down to that, respecting the other guys wishes...?!?!?

I don't know, but I do find it odd when people try to copyright material that belongs to someone else. I always try to look out for the best interests of the artist, but always seem to come out on the wrong end of the argument.

Such is life.
  4. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I agree

I think that he could author or water mark his models like any other piece digital art. This wouldn't perhaps stop someone from uploading his work without his permission but it would let others know if that work was his to begin with. That way if someone tries to take credit for something they didn't create themselves (save for the actual completed model) that he would be recognized. Especially if it's a PDF file. I'm sure that a PDF file could be altered to remove the water mark but that would take extra work and would be a clear violation of the copyright.

Stanley Kubrik was the creator of the models for 2001. When they made the movie 2010 they had use a print of 2001 to build a model of the Discovery. As like mentioned earlier Stanley had destroyed all records and the models themselves so that no other movies would have his models in them.

It's true that when you produce something and then put it online the chances that someone will take that and then take credit for it themselves is quite possible. This is a sad fact of the information age. I will always respect the wishes of the original producer of the model. I've downloaded countless models not so much for card modeling (this wonderful world is some what new to me) but for the MSFS (Microsoft Flight Simulator) and various other video games (sims) that have such a high internet addon community.

I do hope that he reconsiders and keeps his site up. I'm thinking with a few modifications to his models and to the site perhaps.. I didn't get to see it as it was before he decided to start the process of removing it. That such loss while significant can be mitigated and with a few changes perhaps even avoided in the future.
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I think few of "them" actually take credit to themselves, it's just a matter of ignorance really... --And cultural difference perhaps, Japanese designers seemed particularly upset about such, just a thought...

--Still, very sad that uhu02 is closing his site... Any more news on the petition that every one of us can sign?
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

he isnt closing - he is relocating to a new blog :) I got info on that on the cardmodelers mailing list - no access to gmail at work so cant see the new link but he is still around :)
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

This is one reason why I don't copyright any of my work. First off, I don't see that I really have the right to copyright any of my work, if it's based on someone esles original idea, such as say Star Trek. I didn't create Star Trek and if my work is derivative of it, then I don't feel right by slapping my name on it. Secondly, if someone is so lame that they have to take credit for someone elses work.... Let em have it, that type of thing will invariably come back on them. If they profit from my work and claim it as theirs then I might get upset, but the still, the original work belongs to Star Trek and whomever owns the orginal copyright. Finally, it's been said and I'm sure it's true that if you post something on the net, it never goes away, so I think people should expect this, it's just a fact of the net.

I do respect the wishes of others, I make sure whenever possible to get the authors permission and to give them credit, it's just the right thing to do. Ron Caudillo, Alan Sinclair and many others can tell you, I always ask permission first. Even if I can't track down the original creator, I give them credit.

There's one person here, besides Ron that I know of that states clearly on their work... This work is copyrighted by Star Trek and is not meant to be an infringement of their copyright and that's Oyl Pslyk. You have to respect someone that does that.

I'm glad to see that Uhuo2 is not going to leave and that he's changing blogs and sticking around. I for one think he's a brilliant modeler and look forward to his future work.
  8. doctormax

doctormax Member

A damn pity, I had great fun with a young star wars fan who is confined to a wheelchair doing one of his models. He brought joy to one lads face for a few weeks. May not be as good as some peoples final work but he is proud as punch to have made it himself with a little hand. Hope he changes his mind, because it is a talent that we all like to see used and he has one major fan I know of.
  9. I sure hope he doesn't shut down, I never got any chance to make the EVA 01 pod and can't find it anywhere anymore!! :cry:
  10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

StevO, Thanks for putting me in the same 'gang' as the copyright breakers. While I did ask for one of the models after the cut off date, I DON'T break copyright and I DON'T distribute models to other people.

You have basically said that a LOT of members on this forum are as bad as the people who host and distribute the files. While I respect all designers wishes, what happens if, say a member has to go off line for some reason, i.e. computer crash or holiday, and they miss the download date. You are basically saying that they then would not be allowed to have the model to build.

It's good to here that UHU2 is going to start another blog.
  11. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

I guess I'll be the "devil's advocate" in this mess...First, I would not hesitate to ask for a copy from a friend, if we both see the "copyright" thing in the same way...I would never "purchase" it from a friend...but it was a free model, and sorry to say, but if you don't charge for it, that is your own fault.

I'm not saying these folks aren't talented, or undeserving for their efforts in any way...they do. As Ron Caudillo himself can tell you, I've chided him over and over for not selling his models...which he can do without violating any copyright laws...the model itself is an original creation. And he puts a lot of work into it...but if he puts it out there to download for free, what more do you folks expect? You are not ignorant of the way people are, and furthermore that they have no respect for each other. Granted it doesn't make these types of people any less of the scumbags they truly are.

If I post something for someone to download...then yes, I'd be pissed if someone took it and sold it...but if you don't license it, copyright it (properly), and sell it, then you are asking for trouble. And keep in mind that a lot of these things cost money to get accomplished.

And let's look at the format as well...essentially a .pdf or .jpg file that is small and easily sent via email. I mean, it's easier than "sharing" many of you have done that? :twisted:

But even if you do THOSE TWO THINGS, are you still safe? no. Out of curiousity, just so I make my point well, I could go today and download torrent files of pretty much any model on the market. (including the two I just purchased recently at the tune of about $40 total)..And these are copyright, "sold only as paper" models that nimrods have scanned and put up to "share", really...what did anyone expect?

No disrespect meant here, (RonC knows I luvs him!!) :mrgreen: And I certainly don't mean it as a "you get what you deserve" kind of thing)...please understand I'm just making a point/opinion...thanks.

12. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Well ... your either for or against it. If you were designing models and someone was doing the same. I would stick up for you as well. If I am an I.P. Nazi then so be it...

Besides... why would you not just ask the person to email you the file? Is it THAT hard? Guess people would rather go around pretending it's ok.

The forum admins/moderators allow members to ask for discontinued/non-available models to be handed about so it's an allowed activity. Since it's my opinion about all this, I guess I am wrong about everything I said. Wrong, wrong, wrong. wall1
  13. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

StevO, uhu2 hasn't been around on the forum for a while and he never answered emails. So how are people to get his models, other than asking for them. I don't agree with the threads that go on and on, asking for models, try and email or pm first.

But you compaired the guys/girls who asked for the models with copyright breakers and said that they were as bad for asking.

This hobby survives by word of mouth and free models.
  14. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Exactly what I wanted to say, word-by-word... :D
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

We do? I wasnt aware of that. Allowed if its the designer you are asking on the forums.
  16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

It's not encouraged though, well, best done via PM's :D
  17. jparenti

jparenti Member

I hate to see a member of the community with so much talent drop out because of some idiot. I'm careful to make sure a file comes from the source rather from a file-sharing site. I try to avoid Rapid Share and the like, and I advise anyone else to do the same. If you're looking for a model, ask us! If it was a limited release, ask the designer politely if they'd part with it again. Offer compensation even. I've done both, usually with success, and it makes the designer happy to know there are honest people out there.
    I understand uhu's position, but I hope he will reconsider. No matter what, our hobby involved a medium that can be easily and quickly pirated. Like software, people will always rip it off. We must always fight the thieves, but if we let them deter us, we'll have nothing left. I warn all of you that ANY model can be illegally or unethically reproduced. But most of us are good people, and we'll respect your rights.
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

OK folks - i posted a while back - he is closing one blog and opening another. Not going away. We do not need to rehash copyright stuff (again)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.