Is this Overkill

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Sticky Fingers, Jul 31, 2004.

1. In the Mixed Media thread I posed the question if most paper is made of wood and Masonite is made of wood is it fair game. I think it is. Especially for larger models that have circular cross sections such as aircraft and space craft
  2. Ron

Ron Member

Mark....what are you proposing? This *has* to be pretty wild and big if you are contemplating masonite formers!

this added 2 minutes later.....

I saw the pics in your's huge and it's wild :)
  3. barry

barry Active Member

If you used cardboard you would have make that thick anyway so it would effectively become fibre board. To me as long as what you see is cardboard that's enough

Looks great

4. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

Alright, Mark, just plain Mark

... this is something you won't hear often from me...

What the (insert expletive of your choice here) are you planning to build?

DeWayne (just plain confused)
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Paint it white and if anyone asks what it's made of reply blandly, "It's made of paper, you know, and thanks for asking".

Best regards, Gil
  6. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

I would have done it in paper :D , but, as barry said, as long as all you can see is card, it's a card modell

7. The main reason I thought about this was for larger models like the Saturn V and N1 that are out there. And I realize this stuff is way beyond most of us as you have to have access to a lathe at the minimum. I have tried some of the same prototype parts with chip board bulk heads and they seem rigid enough to do the job. My major concern was making sure the assembly would be round due to the fact that all of the cylinders and cones on the model have at least two seams.
  8. dhanners

dhanners Member

As long as the source material is organic (i.e., wood is used to make both paper and, well, wood) then I wouldn't think it is overkill. One way to look at it is that Masonite is paper that is just really, really, really thick.

The aim is to build a structurally sound and good-looking model, and as long as we maintain fidelity to organic materials, then we shouldn't get too anal about the materials or make too many distinctions. Most of my stuff is made out of 65-lb. cardstock, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't hesitate to use something thinner or thicker, depending upon the need.

And yeah, I know the term "organic" is somewhat of a misnomer, since one could argue that styrene is a petrochemical product made from oil which, long, long ago had been some sort of organic substance.
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

See what I mean? The moment you start imposing restrictions, everyone starts asking what the 'RULES' are, then everyone starts trying to push the boundary so they can use their favourite material......

Use whatever you think is appropriate, considering your skills, tool-set availability, cost, time, effort, whatever! Play each material to its strengths and your skills, not someone elses 'RULES'. Unless you are entering a competition, what does it matter?

What is Masonite, by the way? Not a name I recognise, back here in Good Old Blighty.

Tim P
  10. nx13688

nx13688 Member

11. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I don't see how you could have done it without the masonite. You definetly needed a little bit more than your standard 1mm cardstock, and I think masonite was a great idea. Although it's not paper, that doesn't take away from that fact that you're creating a model, and technically all paper models are paper and glue models, but we call them plain old paper models anways, so why not just leave out the masonite part and call it a paper model. :D
  12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Just say, when asked, that it's a "high temperature tempered paper derivative product produced for use in the building industry". Maybe throw in a "tessilated" and "articulated" followed by recombinant denatured acid balanced chemical reaction facilitating partial recovery of byproducts useful as a base fuel in the regeneration of power required to manufacture this new wonder product. Then involve the individual in a conversation around how most people are totally unaware of the fact that they indeed do live in "Card Houses" or at least partial Card Houses and have been doing so for quite some time now".

On second thought just paint it white and say it's made of paper.

Best, Gil
  13. Material application should fit need, tempered by construction capability.
    For those who do not require the full physical properties lent by this product, or to reduce dependency on power tools, there are many other methods.

Applying two layers of corrugated cardboard at transverse corrugation direction will yield a light strong and inexpensive part that can be easily created without powered equipment.
    Pot the edges or add a sealing/smoothing strip upon the periphery aids installation into assembly.
  14. silverw

silverw Member

For my "heavy duty" material, I save and recycle the lids from the Kentucky Fried Chicken buckets. About 1mm thick but more ridgid than regular stock. The waxy side provides for non-stick applications, if required.
  15. Musamune, the idea of using corugated stock had also struck me. The simple fact is I have access to the machinery where I work so this was a solution that came to mind. But I'm most likely going to pick up a lathe fairly soon as I am also interested in this kind of stuff.

Actually paper and hard board are related products as they have common roots :roll: :roll: :roll:

See Gil's explanation above
  16. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

It's all up to the individual

It's all up to the individual.
    No rules. Just do it the way you want.
    I prefer to try to use only paper for the challenge.

As usual Masamune shows his skills, quite a
    fine idea on the corrugation "grain".

And for the record, paper and board are the same thing.
    Paper is made (typically) from pulverized wood pulp. :wink: