Is this okay for G scale trackbed?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by CSX, Oct 23, 2005.

1. CSX

CSX Member

Hello guys. I went to Home Depot today to check out what I should use for the outdoor G scale railroad. I found a rock called Mini White Marble. Is this okay to use to lay the tracks on?
  2. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I like that crushed granit chips. It packs well. I dont know if that stuff you saw is good or not but buy a bag and see unless someone with some positive ideas posts an answer.
  3. Oldmax

Oldmax Member

Track Bed

I have tried almost everthing but Crusher Run works best for me.
    dig trench about 6" wide and 4" deep lay crusher run then level & set track. Next use " lime stone sand " or some kind of small stone chips for Ballast.
    The crusher run will set up after a few rains or you can set with garden hose
    sprinkle with fine mist of water to set & later if you want to change track all you
    you have to do is take hoe or rake and bust up & start all over.
  4. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

Crusher run or Crusher fines work great and are often available in limited quanities for free... Chicken grit also works great and is available at feed stores such as Agway- make sure it's grit (crushed granite) not "crumbles" which is a chicken feed!
  5. Specifically, use #9 crushed limestone. It is very cheap when purchased from a rock-landscaping company. The big box stores in our area do not have this size.
  6. railwaybob

railwaybob Member

Would "crusher run" or "crusher fines" be the same as "stone dust"?

"Stone dust" is the fine particles of stone, about 1/8" in diameter, that are left over after the raw rock goes through the crusher and has been sorted out into the various grades of crushed stone and "granular materials"
  7. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

I don't beleive so, although crusher fines would include some stone dust- unless it called differently where you are. I've used crushed oyster shells- which worked fine but didn't really look right. I use the chicken grit (crushed granite) which is available at most Agways and feed stores... If the "stone dust" is cheap enough and looks good then try it...and let us know how it holds up...
  8. Do Urquhart

Do Urquhart New Member

"Home Depot", Pea Gravel small size works fine and stays in place in rain and snow.

Attached Files: