Is this normal.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I would hope it is just excessive fuel from a throttle position change. I worked for a trucking company that bought a bunch of new Freightliners in 1976 with Cummins diesels, and one of the new trucks had a defective oil seal in the turbo. That thing would burn or otherwise lose about 20 gallons of oil in less than 100 miles!

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Hmmm. Interesting. I was on my way back from Dallas today dropping off a load of plastic paint can's for Wiley Sanders T. L. from KW plastic's down there in Troy, AL. Well we dropped it off and shot over to Fort Worth to Miller brewing to pick up a "Party load" (beer) about 95 mile's outside Shreveport on the way back I seen a Freightliner Century class on the side of I-20 east bound smoking like a freight train. (Can I say that? :) But When I looked there was oil everywhere. All over the back of the truck running like rain drop's all down the front and side of the trailer. I like Cummins and Cat though. We have a T-600 KW with a 475 Cat 16.5 lit. under the hood and boy will that kitty purrr. I like Cummins because so far we've had Detroit, Cat, and Cummins (no Mack's) threw out the different trucks we've had but never had a problem from a Cummins. We had one truck threw Prime Inc. and it over heated going up a mountain side in Idaho in -13 degree weather with snow on top of that and it shut it self down right there in the middle of the interstate and wouldn't start for better than 5 hours. That even after I jumped out and opened up the hood so it could cool. Another thing I stand by for Cummins is Kansas City Southern was the first railroad to ever use Cummins diesel engine's for the power generators when shortly after other railroads started using Cummins power. [did I just hear Tim "the tool man" Taylor grunting?] :)