Is this locomotive a Bachmann Spectrum series?

ReefBlueCoupe

I don't remember because I bought it about 15 years ago and I was 13.. I don't remember how much it cost, but when I turn it over the only wording is Bachmann. So, based on these pictures, can anyone tell me if this is a spectrum loco or not? I do remember modifying the tender for a Kadee coupler back then, so that's why it is there.

Thanks.

steam1.jpg
steam2.jpg
steam3.jpg
steam4.jpg
steam5.jpg

Hello!

As far as I know this is not a Spectrum Loco. I had one from way back but have lost the tender somewhere. I am not sure of the quality because mine wont run any more =[. Hope this helps!

Cory

L

lester perry

It is not a spectrum. I have 2 of them, niether of them will run. The drive wheels slip on the axles which puts them out of quarter.

ReefBlueCoupe

I do not have the box. I wasn't as responsible or picky then (I wasn't even a teenager yet) and probably threw it away.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know for sure.. I suspected it probably wasn't a spectrum, but it runs smoothly so I'll see what I can do about converting to DCC and going from there.

MilesWestern

I know it's an ok model of the real-life ATSF #3751, I don't think CB&Q had them, but you guys, it never hurt to peek under the hood, I've brought a bachmann loco back to life before, it doesn't take mush work, that is if yours doesn't run, or does it?

MilesWestern

I see in the backround a BLI box, I know BLI makes a stunningly beautiful model of the same engine, if you want take a look on their site. Of course I have a feeling you might want to just have this one. ;)

wjstix

Bachmann yes Spectrum no. Spectrums first steam engine was the Pennsy K-4 4-6-2 that came out in 1987 or 88. The 4-8-4 pictured here was offered for many years by Bachmann but never was upgraded to the Spectrum line.

Drew1125

wjstix said:
Bachmann yes Spectrum no. Spectrums first steam engine was the Pennsy K-4 4-6-2 that came out in 1987 or 88. The 4-8-4 pictured here was offered for many years by Bachmann but never was upgraded to the Spectrum line.

The first ones I remember seeing were the HO consolidation (2-8-0) & the 0-6-0 saddle-tank switcher...I'm thinking that was about 10 years ago, give or take...?

ReefBlueCoupe

MilesWestern said:
I know it's an ok model of the real-life ATSF #3751, I don't think CB&Q had them, but you guys, it never hurt to peek under the hood, I've brought a bachmann loco back to life before, it doesn't take mush work, that is if yours doesn't run, or does it?
It still runs fine :cool:

MilesWestern said:
I see in the backround a BLI box, I know BLI makes a stunningly beautiful model of the same engine, if you want take a look on their site. Of course I have a feeling you might want to just have this one. ;)
That's the box of the loco my girlfriend got me for Christmas. A BN GE C30-7 with Sound in my favorite RR:

bn1.jpg

Russ Bellinis

I'm not sure if Bachmann ever offered the 4-8-4 in S.P. or the N&W J in the Spectrum, but to my knowledge none of their other 4-8-4s were ever offered in the Spectrum line. All were offered in both the standard Bachmann line and Bachmann Plus. The difference is that the standard Bachmann had the "North-South" motor/gearbox combination drive while the "Plus" had a can motor with worm gear drive. The standard Bachmann was prone to having the drivers slip on the axles and go out of quarter. The thing to watch for in the Bachmann Plus version is that the springs for the lead and trailing trucks are so strong that they tend to lift the drivers off the track with the resulting loss of traction.

:) This is also not the 3751 series of ATSF 4-8-4, but the 3781 series w/52' 8 wheel tender. It was the largest, heaviest 4-8-4 ever built. Burlington had a large 4-8-4, (there's one sitting in the museum at Golden, Colorado). I don't think it was as large as the ATSF version though.

Dick
Texas Chief

Russ Bellinis

Dick Elmore said:
:) This is also not the 3751 series of ATSF 4-8-4, but the 3781 series w/52' 8 wheel tender. It was the largest, heaviest 4-8-4 ever built. Burlington had a large 4-8-4, (there's one sitting in the museum at Golden, Colorado). I don't think it was as large as the ATSF version though.

Dick
Texas Chief

I think it is also an accurate model of the later 2900 series that were built during WWII.

:thumb: You're right Russ. The differences between the 3781 and the 2900 series
ATSF 4-8-4's are almost non-exstent.

Dick
Texas Chief

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Russ Bellinis said:
I'm not sure if Bachmann ever offered the 4-8-4 in S.P. or the N&W J in the Spectrum, but to my knowledge none of their other 4-8-4s were ever offered in the Spectrum line.

The class J is in spectrum. I feel bad, its a cool steam engine, but there is one at my local hobby shop that never gets bought. It was the only one ever there, and even when they move the display around, it still sits there.

petey

Bachmann 4-8-4

You have found out that these engines are not Spectrums. They were imported from China, I believe in the '70s/80s. They are nicely detailed and relatively accurate models of the SF engines. Bachmann detailed them for NYC, Burlington, and SF. Some of them had smoke and a rudimentary sound system. They look pretty good, but are stinkers as far as operation. They have what I call the 'dreaded 8 coupled Bachmann disease'. They have the most fragile drive system imagineable. There is much slop in drive train (all the better to go around 18" curves). What happens to the three piece axle, a short piece on each wheel, and a plastic center spacer, is that the center spacer loses its grip on the wheell axle, thereby allowing the wheels to move independently. Instant out of quarter! It eventually happens to all the drivers. Bowser MAY have made a proper chassis/drive system for these. Without the Bowser (or other good drive unit) under the shell, it is a waste of time and money to improve or augment (w/DCC) the existing mechanism.:)