Is this forum dead?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by hoppercarmaker, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

I rest my case...
  2. ZeldaTheSwordsman

ZeldaTheSwordsman Thomas Modeler

Oy! Well if people would please look at my workbench thread and start commenting, I'd be putting some more life into it. I hate double posting, and talking just to fill silences if I've nothing of value to say.
  3. phoneguy

phoneguy member

It's good to see someone is holding down the fort. I left with most of the others. I stoped in a couple of times to see if anything was going on. I always liked this sight for my DCC questions.

4. S class

S class Member

if you don't mind me asking what are these dark threatening times of which you knights speak? care to enlighten a padwan learner?
  5. mgmike

mgmike New Member

I have only joined this forum in the last month and have to say I find it very slow compared to others , but I cannot see what would buck it up otherwise I would try
  6. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Re whatever

Hi everyone. just poped in. Ahhh a interesting toppic. Does toppic have 2 Ps? Well no spell check unless u down load it from somewhere else. There are alot of rules here. well time to pop out. C U latter
  7. ed acosta

ed acosta Member

No lack of interest here!

Thanks for the wake up call. I guess I've been too busy playing with my trains - sorry, I meant 'training' - to notice anything else happening around me. I went to a swap meet in Vancouver, BC and came back with an armload of great deals. A nearly finished all metal box car kit from Roundhouse for $2. An Ambroid watermelon car wood kit nearly finished for $2. A Silver Streak nearly finished wood Bunk Car for $1. A Suydam work bed loco for $20 (two of them recently sold on eBay for $150 each). And a bunch of plastic kits in unopened boxes for $1 each. Sorry for ignoring you, as you can I've been busy training.
  8. ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well, this board isn't dead as long as I'm keeping watch.
  9. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

Now how about a little Q&A?
    How much space is between your layout decks?[/quote]

Over in the Logging mining and industrial section there are pictures of my DG, CC & W RR. Which is my second round with multiple decks ( five total).

My previous attempt at multiple decks was built from the bottom up . and the upper deck was not finished, and very little was learned.

I have some shallow staging where the distance from the rail head to the bottom of the bench work on the level directly above it is four inches. This is tight and it works. I would not want to go any closer, and this height difference would be a problem if the lower level was more than three or four tracks deep. Other staging levels are eight inches, ten and twelve inches respectively; the deeper they are the taller you want the separation to be so that you can have access.

My main lower levels which are sceniced ; Levels 2 and 3 in a split level set up. at 30 and 36 inches above the floor: both have two feet from the railhead of the lowest track to the bottom of the benchwork above. these areas are for the most part two feet deep, with occasional wide places up to 2.5 feet deep. This allows adequate visual space, and ok reach access, although there is some head bump potential when working at the rear of the Crooked Creek engine facilities.

What would I do differently, now that I have more experience with multiple decks? Over Crooked creek, the sawmill town, and the biggest, busiest area of the railroad the two foot separation is ideal, and I would not chance that. I might use less separation over Harlow, my city scene. That would cramp things up some there, but would have allowed me to reduce the grades on my mountain significantly.

On the upper decks my decks get much skinnier, as there are knee walls and the upper decks are hanging from the ceiling. up near eye level, with a sixteen inch deep shelf , a ten inch separation has been plenty adequate.

When in doubt get lots of card board or foam core, and mock things up. Multiple levels can give you a lot more railroad, and really help establish the illusion of going some where. However it makes careful planning much more important.

Bill Nelson
  10. ZeldaTheSwordsman

Who here uses Thomas the Tank Engine characters on their layout?
  11. Bill Nelson

Thomas Stuff

Both of my sons were big Thomas fans. I had a Horsby 00 Thomas that I had removed the motor from so that both of my boys could play with it on the layout. I have a multilevel layout, and I moved all the fragile stuff to the upper deck, and gave the boys free run of the main level.

My youngest son had PPH ( primary pulmonary hypertension),now sometimes called IPAH ( Idiopathic Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension); and spent the last two years of his life hooked up to a portable IV pump, which lived in a series of Thomas the tank engine backpacks (he wore out about five of them). My dad had sent him a Bachman Thomas train set , but he passed away before he had a chance to play with it.

Sir Toppum Hat, (aka The Fat Controller, the book was written before the days of PC); lives on my railroad. Where ever I have my most major project going on, he is there to supervise. Here he is seen supervising the installation of a passing siding on the narrow gauge way up on the fifth level in Gegoukayoosa NC.

The Tomas from that train set went to our club, where I wired him to Clarabelle, and put a decoder in Clarabelle, allong with some auxiliary electrical pick ups. When we have an open house, Thomas is a big hit with the kids. I'd like to replace his decoder with a programmable sound decoder, load it with the Thomas theme song, and some phrases, so I could make Thomas talk. but I'm mot DCC savy enough to attempt that on my own yet.

Bill Nelson

Attached Files:

12. reklein

reklein Member

Bill, I'm so sorry for the loss of your son. I can't imagine the pain of that.Keep up the commentary though. I look forward to your informative notes. Have you made any progress on the Mantua logger. Bill
  13. ZeldaTheSwordsman

I'm sorry about it too. Losing someone you know sucks. :-( TT_TT Ahem. On another note, why did you put the decoder in Clarabel instead of Annie?
  14. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends

I had to jump at this question. I model in HO, On30 and Large Scale outdoors. I had a heck of a lot of fun building this TIDMOUTH Engine Sheds scene for our local Museum that has a Lionel layout for the kids young and old. These engines are very colorful.
    Doc Tom:wave:

Attached Files:

15. Mountain Man

Yes, it is largely dead. Only two significant posters remain, and they talk mostly only to each other.

I come here less and less because less and less is going on that can hold my interest.
  16. Bill Nelson

Is this a failure of this forum, or a failure of your interest in model trains? I started out focusing completely on the logging mining and industrial section. recently I have been checking out some of the other sections, and have found stuff that is instructive and interesting, which has inspired me to do different stuff

I know Mountain man has a good eye, as he has spotted discrepancies in my (excellent) model railroad. While the Mountain man has contributed comments from time to time, I have been waiting to see his stuff in a thread. If you read stuff here, and don't share, learn digital pnotography and share.

We All benefit from the sharing of our ideas and work, and I'd like to see mountain Mans!

Bill Nelson
  17. Mountain Man

It's a failure of the forums. You and the Doctor are about the only two who remain, and you direct your stuff to each other.

I don't do large scale and I don't do logging. In fact, what I am creating is outside of the scope of this forum, and I doubt you would find it interesting.

Enjoy your private railroad forum for as long as it lasts.
  18. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Let's keep it civil, please, gentlemen.

If you don't want to contribute, Mountain Man, that's fine; please do not deride those who do. Every member counts.

Topic locked.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.