Is this a good place for a DCS question?

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by BonoboWannabe, Nov 8, 2006.

1. BonoboWannabe

BonoboWannabe New Member

I bought an MTH locomotive with proto-2 and I can't say I'm terribly happy with it.

Bottom line is, all I really want is to be able to upload my own sounds to a locomotive, and change out my own control units/motors should they happen to wear out / break(which they have twice now on my lm, and MTH won't sell me the replacement parts).

I really like O guage(or scale or whatever it's called - hey, I'm new). Is there anything out there in O that will let me do this?

2. jflessne

jflessne Member

Does this help?
    I don't know if custom sounds are possible. I remember reading something that said you could. I suspect it would be a MTH software product because the sound files have a MTH file extension.

I'm not using the DCS function on my setup yet. I want to but the price tag for a DCS system is not in my budget right now.
  3. BonoboWannabe

BonoboWannabe New Member

Thank you for the link! I think I've seen that before. I'm more interested in picking apart the binary file and figuring out which bits are the sound samples. Once you can isolate them, it should be a simple matter to substitute your own in place.

Imagine hitting the whistle button and the sound of an AAAAAugah horn comes out! Or a bronx cheer even. And anything's better than that horrible dialog in the "freight yard" sounds.

Does anyone know if I can just buy the TIU by itself? Would that be any cheaper than the "full blown" DCS package? I'm not ready to buy a full DCS system at those prices just so I can upload the passenger sounds. I know it's got lots of other doo-dads but I'm not too inclined to buy anything more from MTH until they are willing to help me with my requests.

4. BonoboWannabe

BonoboWannabe New Member

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, I'm in this hobby for the noveltyand the (eletrical) engineering, not the realism. To each their own!
  5. BonoboWannabe

BonoboWannabe New Member

Ok I just answered my own question. it looks like the TIU by itself is available on ebay, but it's like $164. They're offering the complete DCS system for $250, so I might as well get that.

Still not worth it unless I can use my own sounds.
  6. bsmpres

bsmpres New Member

DCS H0 issue

I have a new MTH 2-8-2 and an NCE controller. I programmed the loco and it ran great but after sitting for a while it won't respond- any thoughts??