Is this a good Idea?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by CNWman, Jul 19, 2007.

1. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

jawdrop :-o :eek::eek::eek::eek:

...whoa.... now THAT is a strange conicidence!
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I tried your link Wayne but got a "sorry, not allowed to use url" sign from them. Is that the story about the barn in Europe that was found to be full of old Itallian cars?

CNWman, I'm not sure of the size of your layout. If it is too small to do justice to an excursion train, you could have the train disappear into a cut or tunnel and go to some hidden track, park it for a time, and then bring it back on scene either by backing back into the point of origin or by coming back on scene from the other direction.
  3. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

My layout is a typical 4'X8" table, and there is no plans to add any hidden track (not enough area) Maybe a short train (a max of 3 cars probably) could be okay. Here's a pic of the layout:
    BTW although the F3 is placed on a peice of unpowered Atlas track, the spur right in front of it is where the shed will go.
  4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

CNWman :wav: , all i can say is::bravo: , i REALLY LIKE YOUR STORY!:winki::mrgreen: i dont think its to long, and explaines your layout quite well:thumb: .
    :deano: -Deano
  5. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Thanks Deano!!
  6. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Here's the general idea of what I want for the herald:

Attached Files:

7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

That's an good herald - very 1990s. You could go the "retro" way too, and do something that looks historic, even if the railroad's history does not go back all that far... Something like a circle herald with the name around the outside, and tracks or a train running beside a stylized river. Canadian Pacific resurrected the "Golden Rodent" herald and did away with the "CP Rail" and multi-mark (Pacman) device during this time.

From a practical point of view, you have three colours - light and dark blue, brown, plus black. The black text on the blue background is not the most legible combination. Perhaps a white outline for the letters? Also, this many colours may be more expensive and/or complicated to make if you are thinking about your own custom decals.

Just my $0.02 though...

8. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Ok, how's this version? (it looked alot better in big size, stinkin file size limits:curse:wall1

Attached Files:

9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Convert it to a jpg file. The bmp format takes a lot more space.

I think it looks ok, but it is really your call. Maybe you want to do something with a simple text name, but put a "woosh" on the engines to suggest the river? Kinda like the Amtrak or VIA trains have.

But it is all up to you. I don't even necessarily know what I'd do in this situation, so you're taking a chance taking advice from me...! ;) hamr

10. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll continue working on the herald, after all, the time when I need one is when I get a steam engine for the layout (desiels are sweet, but steam engines still hold more magic:mrgreen:)