Is this a good Idea?

CNWman

CNW Fan
Holy...

Maybe not that far-fetched, either. This has nothing to do with trains, but I thought it an odd coincidence that a friend sent me this the same day that I read your post about a "found" F-unit.
The story is that a couple bought a farmhouse (in Portugal) with some property and a barn. The house had been vacant for about 15 years. After taking possession, they decided to have a look in the barn, which they hadn't bothered checking out previously. They discovered that the doors were padlocked and welded shut, and after getting the doors open, they found...

Found in a barn...

Wayne

jawdrop :-o :eek::eek::eek::eek:

...whoa.... now THAT is a strange conicidence!

Russ Bellinis

I tried your link Wayne but got a "sorry, not allowed to use url" sign from them. Is that the story about the barn in Europe that was found to be full of old Itallian cars?

CNWman, I'm not sure of the size of your layout. If it is too small to do justice to an excursion train, you could have the train disappear into a cut or tunnel and go to some hidden track, park it for a time, and then bring it back on scene either by backing back into the point of origin or by coming back on scene from the other direction.

CNWman

CNW Fan
CNWman, I'm not sure of the size of your layout. If it is too small to do justice to an excursion train, you could have the train disappear into a cut or tunnel and go to some hidden track, park it for a time, and then bring it back on scene either by backing back into the point of origin or by coming back on scene from the other direction.

My layout is a typical 4'X8" table, and there is no plans to add any hidden track (not enough area) Maybe a short train (a max of 3 cars probably) could be okay. Here's a pic of the layout:
baseline.jpg

BTW although the F3 is placed on a peice of unpowered Atlas track, the spur right in front of it is where the shed will go.

UP SD40-2

The timeframe is geared towards around the 1990's to modern times (according to offical reports, CNW RS-32 no.4242 is an ex-Conrail bought around 1979) and is setup to be the main hub of activity in the farming comunity of Riverside in the midwest states (it was orignaly Riverside, OH, untill I learned that Riverside, OH actualy exists!). The idea of the CNW engines comes from my made up idea that the CNW owned trackage in eastern OH (in reality, they never went past Indiana), and so CNW engines hauling farming equipment to and grain-hauling freights from Riverside were common up untill the mid-1980's when the CNW sold the trackage rights to CSX, which CSX sold to the newly created Riverside Railroad( a.k.a. the RRR), which only had leased engines. It was when the old, abandoned engine shed's doors were opened was a relic from the past re-discovered. It was believed that CNW no.4056, an EMD F3, had been scraped, but instead it was found that the rare engine had been rusting away in the shed ever since the CNW left the area. Fast foward to the day the layout is suposed to model. Thanks to the CNWHS and help from the U.P., CNW 4056, completley fixed up and shinier than ever, now helps run short grain and other goods freights to and from Riverside while CNW RS-32 no. 4242, another rare 1st generation engine which was bought by the RRR and restored, switches the elevator. Finaly, the engine shed was repaired and keeps the two desiels runing.

That's the story behind the layout (long, ain't it?:rolleyes::p) I modified it from the orignal story (I didn't have an RS-32 then, nor a grain elevator either) but I think it's better, but still pretty long.
CNWman :wav: , all i can say is::bravo: , i REALLY LIKE YOUR STORY!:winki::mrgreen: i dont think its to long, and explaines your layout quite well:thumb: .
:deano: -Deano

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
That's an good herald - very 1990s. You could go the "retro" way too, and do something that looks historic, even if the railroad's history does not go back all that far... Something like a circle herald with the name around the outside, and tracks or a train running beside a stylized river. Canadian Pacific resurrected the "Golden Rodent" herald and did away with the "CP Rail" and multi-mark (Pacman) device during this time.

From a practical point of view, you have three colours - light and dark blue, brown, plus black. The black text on the blue background is not the most legible combination. Perhaps a white outline for the letters? Also, this many colours may be more expensive and/or complicated to make if you are thinking about your own custom decals.

Just my $0.02 though...

Andrew

CNWman

CNW Fan
Ok, how's this version? (it looked alot better in big size, stinkin file size limits:curse:wall1

Attachments

• Riverside Herald II.bmp
    172.3 KB · Views: 12

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
file size limits
Convert it to a jpg file. The bmp format takes a lot more space.

Ok, how's this version?
I think it looks ok, but it is really your call. Maybe you want to do something with a simple text name, but put a "woosh" on the engines to suggest the river? Kinda like the Amtrak or VIA trains have.

But it is all up to you. I don't even necessarily know what I'd do in this situation, so you're taking a chance taking advice from me...! ;) hamr

Andrew

CNWman

CNW Fan
Convert it to a jpg file. The bmp format takes a lot more space.

I think it looks ok, but it is really your call. Maybe you want to do something with a simple text name, but put a "woosh" on the engines to suggest the river? Kinda like the Amtrak or VIA trains have.

But it is all up to you. I don't even necessarily know what I'd do in this situation, so you're taking a chance taking advice from me...! ;) hamr

Andrew

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll continue working on the herald, after all, the time when I need one is when I get a steam engine for the layout (desiels are sweet, but steam engines still hold more magic:mrgreen:)