Is this a fake?

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by BARX2, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I bought a model on eBay and it looks suspicious to me. It's Modelik 13/97 USS Ohio. The model appears to be a laser copy of an original. The pages are not bound in a book and the graphics are glossy and have a waxy feel like a laser copy. Please have a look at the pictures I put on my web site and let me know what you think. I took close up pictures of what appear to be artifacts from a copy machine. Also, the color of the missile tube hatches doesn't appear to be consistent.

If you do think it's a fake, what do you think is the best way to handle it? He may not know it's a fake, or he may be running a scam and selling all fakes.

(I've removed the link to the web page, because I removed the photos to save space. Admins, this has been resolved. You can remove this thread. Thanks.)

Here's a link to the ebay auction page:
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The printed line in the fourth picture is a dead give away and the loose sheets spell fake.
  3. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Oh yeah, definite fake.
    The short sheet shadows, the white space around the edges of the cover page, the general look of the prints.

And you've got it right, laser copies, not laser prints.

My suggestion would be to ask the seller some questions and see what the responses are.
    Be discreet though. Maybe let him know you like and wondering if he has others, where can you get them, etc.
    Depending on the answers, you might confront him or notify eBay.

Keep an eye out for other auctions by him.
  4. jagolden

jagolden Guest

The seller does seem to specialize in Navy and "Ohio" memorabilia.
    He Could have picked it up somewhere or received it innocently enough from someone.
  5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Thanks for the responses. I agree it looks like a copy. I'm not so much interested in busting him, but rather getting a refund if it's fake. Does anyone have a Modelik model, and if so, are the sheets stapled a like Halinsky?
  6. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

I don't have the Ohio, but was looking at my copy of the Leutze a few hours ago and it consists of a cover, a page of diagrams and two pages of card that are folded into fourths, all stapled on the spine so that it seems like 12 pages. All of my Modelik and Orlik models are like this.
  7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Original Modelik kits are ALWAYS in booklet format, NEVER loose sheets packed in plastic.
  8. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I asked the seller if it was an original or a copy. Here's his answer:

"Its original, I bought it from PMI a few years ago. It is Polish and I'm sure their printing is not as high a quality as in a first world country."

Is PMI still in business? I could send them a question.
  9. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

That changes things a bit....
    PMI in fact sold some ModelCard kits as laser copies (I bought the Ki-84 Hayate) - when I asked Lou about it, he said that was an agreement with the publisher concerning older kits....
    BTW Modelik started as ModelCard.....
  10. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Thanks good news. I really want to build this boat and was very disappointed when I saw that it appears to be a copy. But the parts do appear to be printed on good card stock and the other sheets are thin paper. All the colored parts are glossy like a laser copy. The lettering on the sheets is clear and not blurry like a copy. So hopefully this is legit. I didn't want to build it thinking the kit was a fake.
  11. sakrison

sakrison Member

If he did in fact buy it from Lou (PMI), then it's legitimate. Lou is not and never has been a pirate. I know PMI offers reprinted JSC kits, too--again under license from JSC.
  12. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Well I'm satisfied. Thanks to everyone who responded. I can breathe a sigh of relief. It will look great next to U-Don's USS Los Angeles. :)
  13. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Looks like a copy to me.

I had a conversation with Lue at PMI about “reprints” that he was producing and what the Publishers thought. The jest of the conversation was that if the model was out of print and there would be no reprints by the publisher that they had no problem with the reprint. Keep in mind that PMI was the major supplier of paper models in the US for several years and Lue was very open with the publishers as to what he was doing. Now from my point of view I want the publisher to be able to make a living and buy more Ink so I would drop a note to Modelik so that they can take action if they wish. As for me I won’t be bidding on any of Mr. fcwaj items.

Jim Nunn
  14. BCA

BCA New Member

If he bought it from Lou - it's ok. I spent considerable time at Lou's place, seen his set-up and the agreements with these companies for reprint - he's on the up & up. It's a shame PMI is closing it's doors. I bought the Ohio from him about 2 years ago - it should be a good build.
  15. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Folks, I contacted Lou and he said basically what has been said above about his agreement with Modelik to sell copies. I am happy with the model and consider the matter resolved. Thanks to all of you who responded to my request in this thread and by PM.
  16. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

I have two original copies of this kit. They came as part of a large stock order direct from Modelik so this kit was not out of print as of 7th December 07. Checking on the Modelik site, it's still on sale there, too.
  17. BARX2

BARX2 Member

The one I bought is the 1997 model, which is out of print. The one you have is probably the 2007 issue 22/07, right?
  18. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

You're absolutely right, BARX2. I should have read the original post more closely. I saw it was the same picture on the cover and assumed it was the same issue. My bad.
  19. BARX2

BARX2 Member

No problem. It is a little confusing with the identical cover. I wonder if the models are identical or if they made any changes in the one you have.
  20. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

I couldn't say for sure as I don't have a copy of the earlier version to compare to. I would assume there are some differences, though as the layout is different. The earlier version you have appears to be in portrait whereas the later version is in a landscape layout.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.