is there anything i need to do to a new engine before running it?

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Run it by itself (no rolling stock)for ten minuates at a mid speed range around your layout. Then lube it with a good plastic compatible grease.La Bell has a fine selection of lubricants.
Manufacurers usually grease them up before shipping. Running it for ten minates will break it in, Plus you can find out if anything is wrong, that might mean a trip back to the LHS for a swap.
If its used. It would be a good idea to take it apart, clean the drive train(gears, motor contacts ect.. and re-lube it.

DavidB-AU

eightyeightfan1 said:
Run it by itself (no rolling stock)for ten minuates at a mid speed range around your layout.
Only modification to this recommendation is to run it at mid speed for 10 min in each direction to run it in.

Cheers
David

ozzy

well, i dont have an full loop set up yet, but have a nice section to test it in, its not running the best. it did run ok, but i thought it was weak, but this if my first N scale engine so i dont know how they should run., and now all of a sudden, it barely gets down the track, jurky when it do.

any ideas?

Two questions:
1) How clean is the track?
2) What brand is the locomotive and can you tell us more about it?
OK, that's maybe 2 1/2 questions...

ozzy

track is brand new, just put it down today, the engine is a lifelike, all wheel pick up, all wheel drive, , got it new yeasterday, box says life-like 7192 E8 loco .

i know lifelike is not the best, but all i wanted was an engine to test the track out with for now, and plan on getting better ones latter. i have checked all my conections on the track , it is ok, , engine acts the same on all parts of the track.

SuperChiefRules

I would clean the track (you would be suprised how much dirt gets on them in a short amount of time.....). i would also check to make sure the wheels are clean. There might also be some 'crap' in the motor that is fouling it up.

Good Luck!

DavidB-AU

Life Like is pretty good. I have several Life Like E8s (including the EMD demonstrator) and they all run fine. You shouldn't have any problems with the E8 unless it's second hand or you unfortunately got a dud.

If it's new and faulty it will be under warranty and you can get a replacement.

If it's second hand it might need to be taken apart and cleaned.

Cheers
David

fsm1000

If I have a section of track that I can just let my loco run on [an oval for instance] then I let it run for half an hour at about a third speed then a half hour at half speed.
What this does is 'break in' the motor and gears. I then do the same thing in reverse.
Unless there is something truly wrong with the loco I have found I never have a problem with the running ever after doing this.

Of course if you run it on the carpet etc it will pick up lint and such, but baring things like that, once broken in it will give you years of fun.

That and 'maybe' lube it once every couple of years.
I hope that helps. :)
Have fun.

ozzy

ok, i got my engine running, was not the engine at all, i took a dry Q-tip to the rails, and there was some black stuff on the track, im guessing from when i used the blacken stuff to weather the rails, the Q-tip did not take the weathering off the top of the rails, but did the black dust, after that it ran fine. but just to be safe, i took one of the wifes fingernail files, the finest grit she had and went over the tops of the rails to make them shiny. better safe then sorry.

oh ya, i sugest that you dont let your wife catch you doing it.............:D

kf4jqd

Welcome to the world of N scale! I also have some Life Like locomotives. They run pretty good. I also have Con Cor and Atlas. They all run good. As for track cleaning. I use a Bright Boy from Walthers. It looks and works like an eraser!:thumb: I also use a brass brush with cliips that connects to your track. You electify your track and the brushes. This will clean the wheels of your locomotives. Mine works with scales HO and N, but I have used it on my G scale! An advide modeller told me never to use liquid cleaners. Hope my little input helps.

Andy:wave:

Attachments

• Lifelikelocos.jpg
    Lifelikelocos.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 78