Is the Gauge, Zealot or whatever slow for everybody else?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Russ Bellinis, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I thought the change was supposed to speed things up, but it is slower than it ever was for me. I don't know if making one big "super site" covering a whole gammet of hobbies has resulted in the new server being as overloaded as the old one or what. I made a post in "The Real Thing-USA abd noticed some spelling mistakes. I tried the edit function and hit save 10 minutes ago. It is still trying to save my changes, but it doesn't seem to be working or is it just the edit function that has died? I do notice that at certain times duiring the day the site times out before it will open threads or go back to the index. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm on a dsl, not dial up, but I haven't seen any evidence that anything is faster with the new server than it was with the old server.
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Fast answer - no.
  3. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

I haven't had any of those problems. It has been quick to post, reply and easy to edit here.

My only slow down has been when our cable company works on their servers or is making changes in equipment - then it really crawls.
  4. Go Big1

Go Big1 Member

Haven't noticed any slowness at all. Might be your internet provider.
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Russ, I find that things are a bit slow, but I believe that most of that is because Peter is picking up a very large data file for, as they have lost their server. I'm not sure how long this will take, so please bear with us. ;)
    As for your editing problems, if "Save" doesn't work almost immediately, click on "Go Advanced", then "Save Changes".

Btw, the general concensus is that we're part of Zealot, but we're still "the Gauge". :-D

6. Russ Bellinis

Thanks Wayne. I know what you mean. They can call it the "Zealot" if they want to, but to me it will always be "The Gauge." I wasn't aware of losing their server or coming here. I really don't pay any attention to any of the other boards here other than The Gauge. I don't think the problem is with my server, although I have heard that cable modem is faster than dsl. I haven't noticed the slowness with the various automotive boards I visit. Occasional I think the dsl gets overloaded, because sometimes I can't even get my home page to open. Most of the time when the Gauge is slow for me, I can still get everywhere else I want to go to on the net without problems.
  7. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Yeah Russ, Peter had to move them before he was ready, but they shut down their server. We had a few problems when Peter moved the Gauge here, and we're still trying to iron out some of them. They have their own set uf problems, like some threads came across two and three times. So those guys are busy doing houskeeping work rather than having fun.

I don't see any significant "slowdown", but I do find occasionally, I cannot access a page and am locked out. I wait about a minute and try again, usually without any problems. One thing we have noticed though, is that the Yahoo spiders are crawling all over the place. Right now there are 52 members on line and 442 visitors, most of them are bots, or spiders and they tend to slow things down for the rest of us.

Just hang in there, we are all still working in the background to get THE GAUGE, and those other guys all working smoothly again...:thumb: :thumb:
  8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

9. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Don when I started see the post for the "card models forum" I went over there to check them out and saw peter was working his butt off again.:yep:I was seeing so many of the same post that I saw um about 3 months ago (when we moved). Stuff like "this new place sucks" "im never coming back" yada yada yada. I posted one message and said, been there done it, hang in there it will get better. Two thoughts 1- hopefully they will hang in there. 2- peter is a glutton for punishment:mrgreen::mrgreen:. Chaparral go to user cp top left, go to edit options, at bottom go to exclude forums from new post and hold ctrl and highlite all the forums you dont want to see. Thanks
  10. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Yep, that's the way to do that, user CP...

We could predict that there would be the same unrest as there was here. I guess some of them just didn't understand that their server was turned off and Peter had little choice but to move them here when he did. They'll get over it. We didn't lose too many members, some left for a while, but came back once they realized there really wasn't that big a change, just a few neighbors that we didn't have before.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  11. Russ Bellinis

Thanks for all of the info guys. I was not aware of the cardmodel site being piggy backed onto us. I was not concerned about the small glitches that we have been through. I build and play with cars in the 12inches to the foot scale and am on 3 or 4 automotive boards regularly. A couple of them have lost servers and had to move to new servers, the main difference that I noted was that the admins just shut down the boards completely for however long it took to get everything transfered to the new server. Peter is the only one I've seen who left the board up and running while inputting all of this stuff! I was just expecting more speed out of the board on the new server and was concerned that the increase size of the board due to the other hobby boards on this site might have overloaded the band width for this server.
  12. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Yes & no. I don't always think its the forum, but maybe my internet. HOWEVER I've noticed my "Page timed out" problem has quintupled, (yes 5x more) then before. Some days I can't stop by because it won't load anything.
  13. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

No complaints here, sorry.
  14. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

All the pages load slower now than when I was on dial-up.
    Hope that changes after every thing is ironed out.
  15. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

That's not enough. I had to change my settings in the User Control Panel to exclude the forums I don't want.
  16. phoneguy

phoneguy member

I've noticed that the Gauge is much slowwer than it was. If I go to a link the page times out and I can't go back to the original page. I've had lots of trouble with linked pictures also.
  17. badgerys

badgerys Member

well I never knew about the Gauge but find that pages do load very slow.I understand that with the move and the timing there would be some teethingproblems.Hope it will all work out eventually.
  18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Yeah...I've got broadband and it crawls.

When the broadband went down for a while and I had to go to dial-up, it literally froze up.

I suspect that being a part of the great Zealot Network In The Sky means sharing valuable bandwidth with all the other sub-forums at once.
  19. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Yes and no. There's a lot going on in the background that most of you are not aware of, and that might explain a lot of slowdowns for some. For instance, the card forums came across with a lot of threads duplicated and some even triplicated. They are busy there finding and getting rid of them. So far they've isolated close to 5000 and the admins are working to get rid of them entirely. We are also trying to merge and delete duplicate and triplicate usernames without losing any posts in the process. This is a tricky and very slow process since there were over 7,000 of them and they can only be dealt with one at a time. Someone else is working at trying to solve the picture problems and restore the Gallery from the old Gauge, and so yes, we are all probably using up valuable bandwidth doing housekeeping chores. When we get caught up, I'm thinking that things have got to speed up.

I guess I'm asking you all to bare with us on this, the main intent and the overall big picture is to make all of these forums work better than they were. In case you don't remember, we had many times where the Gauge bogged down so bad it would take minutes to change to a new page or open a thread. I had so many time-outs when trying to post and things ran so slow that I'd open a tab to something else while the old Gauge would load. So things may slow down now, but they haven't gotten as bad as they used to be.
  20. Russ Bellinis

Thanks Don. I appreciate the time you guys are putting in to getting things straightened out. It will be nice when the forum is up & running at the speed it should be.