Is RC (radio control) airplanes a Hobby or a sport?

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by wcmeier, Apr 14, 2007.

1. wcmeier

wcmeier New Member

RC airplanes=RC aeromodeling= radio control airplanes
  2. xyzfree2002

xyzfree2002 New Member

My friend's husband builds and flies radio controlled planes and helicopters, he calls it his hobby.
  3. billhantzis

billhantzis New Member

Both. Years ago it was part of the Olympics and Russia was always winning. But in recent years I think it was dropped. But there are other competitions around the world that hold RC Tournaments.
  4. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

I'm not sure what Billhantzis is talking about...R/C airplanes were NEVER an Olympic sport. There are World Championship competitions for R/C in several disciplines...probably the most well known are acrobatics and scale competitions. The principal actors (winners...) in R/C acrobatics were European with the Japanese close behind. American flyers popped up now and then but have never been the dominant "power" in R/C acrobatics. This was probably due to the shift from a hobby sport to a commercially powerful one, and the principal manufacturers of R/C equipment are European and Japanese. The manufacturers sponsored the flyers which made them nearly unbeatable. You need a lot of talent on top of that, of course, to be able to win at an R/C competition.
  5. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

Well, I think it's a hobby. :)
  6. Rszanti

Rszanti New Member

Isn't a sport something where physical activity is involved ?

Nothing physical about RC plane flying unless you consider chasing after a plane when control is lost, an activity.

7. I need a Pin up girl. . .

I think of it as more of an obsession. . .:p
  8. Oracle_9

Oracle_9 New Member

9. foamnpackingtape

foamnpackingtape New Member

Sport for some, Hobby for most like me