is NS and BNSF trying to merge?

SAL Comet

Ha Firefighter, I did get a couple pics but there on film, so it will be a while till I can post them. I have to say, those BNSF loco's are really something to see, great color sceam.

McFortner

We often see the coal train going through Stockbridge. We are on the eastern line of the two lines between Atlanta and Macon. All the cars have Georgia Power markings on them, and are full S/B and empty N/B. All I have ever seen is 2 engines up front and one in the rear.

Here are some pictures I took with my son this spring. Finally got the roll of film developed! :rolleyes:

Anyway, these were taken of the same train, War Pumpkin on the front and Heritage on the back! Heck, we've even seen some old War Bonnets through here (both Santa Fe and BNSF marked units).

Michael

Attachments

• BNSF-1.jpg
    BNSF-1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 86
  • BNSF-2.jpg
    BNSF-2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 84
  • BNSF-3.jpg
    BNSF-3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 80
  • BNSF-4.jpg
    BNSF-4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 88

rcwatkins

I think it would be that BNSF is allowed by NS to have access to some of the power plants in the Appalachians b/c I have seen plenty of BNSF power on the NS track headed both east and west (out of and into Memphis respectively). I think UP also runs on NS but I haven't seen proof.

railohio

rcwatkins said:
I think it would be that BNSF is allowed by NS to have access to some of the power plants in the Appalachians b/c I have seen plenty of BNSF power on the NS track headed both east and west (out of and into Memphis respectively).

It would be because of agreements to allow the sharing of equipment on jointly operated trains which saves time and money. Since Norfolk Southern is getting "free" use of BNSF power NS will send some of their power west in the future to "repay" the debt.