Is Model Railroader lagging?

F

Fred_M

Ain't that the truth. Is that why they put them in plastic bag mailers? Use to be mine came all dog eared and months late with slobber marks all in them. I figured at first that was why they put them in the plastic bags, but you got me thinking. :D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Well, I bought the November issue of MR off the rack today because I liked the looks of the large modern warehouse structure article and the story about Ed Silvia's operating scheme for his layout. Looking over the rest of the issue I see some things for beginners such as how to improve freight cars and how to scratchbuild with styrene. Actually both of these are useful for all modelers, really. I'm not much into HOn3 but the layout is well done and constructed in an interesting location. There is an article for fans of contemporary diesel power comparing GE and GM offerings with gatefold pull-out illustrations, an impressive Z scale layout, two article references to John Armstrong for those who believe his passing has not received enough notice, AND....an advisment that the December issue will feature a huge Pennsey layout that has been improved and updated to PENN CENTRAL!!!!!!!!! Gee, what are the odds that I'll purchase that issue as well? :)

Ralph

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Well, I bought the November issue of MR off the rack today because I liked the looks of the large modern warehouse structure article and the story about Ed Silvia's operating scheme for his layout. Looking over the rest of the issue I see some things for beginners such as how to improve freight cars and how to scratchbuild with styrene. Actually both of these are useful for all modelers, really. I'm not much into HOn3 but the layout is well done and constructed in an interesting location. There is an article for fans of contemporary diesel power comparing GE and GM offerings with gatefold pull-out illustrations, an impressive Z scale layout, two article references to John Armstrong for those who believe his passing has not received enough notice, AND....an advisment that the December issue will feature a huge Pennsey layout that has been improved and updated to PENN CENTRAL!!!!!!!!! Gee, what are the odds that I'll purchase that issue as well?

I have yet to get my November issue maybe tomorrow. Now that you have said that Ralph i will have to be watching for when the December issue comes out. LOL can't wait.

spitfire

Given the long lead times magazines have between planning and actual release, the John Armstrong message in the Oct issue was probably squeezed in at the last minute. As Ralph said, there is a much longer tribute to him in the current issue.

I wonder if they'll make that fold-out a regular feature. I really like the idea, and would love to see some steam - a Mike would be nice.

Val

SAL Comet

I think MR has been getting worse for some time, I hoped it would turn around with the "new look". You can read the entire contents of an issue in an hour, (not counting the ads of course, which are the same every mouth). With the content going down an the price going up, i just can't justify the expence.

ausien

Question: is your MR, the same MR, as ours?( I am still trying to work out if it is a RR mag, or is it a addvertising mag with an RR feature here an there.)