Is Model Railroader lagging?

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
I would honestly have to agree with the majority in saying that MR is mainly for beginners like myself. I picked my first one up at the NEX about 4 months ago, and got some pretty good ideas to run with, but I can totally see where the modeller who has been active for years can get bored with it. As for me, it honestly doesn't do much good unless they run more articles regarding track or wiring.

Anybody out there know of any good publications (in english) that cater to those of us doing japanese commuter layouts? Help as always is greatly appreciated!

Domo Arrigato!

-doc

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Must be just me. But I can't wait to get my copy of MR every month.Been a subscriber now for over fifteen years. I did notice the change though. Lots of beginers articles, repeat how too's...and is it just me or is there more ads than articles? Besides...I like reading it in the bath....reading room(The one with the white chair)
As far as ideas and modeling techniques.......People here on the Gauge rock!!!!!
How come we don't have a magazine?

F

Fred_M

eightyeightfan1 said:

My observation is that magazines are basically obsolete given the net with it's forums and websites. The only advantage magazines hold at this time is they are a filter and can be read on the throne. Since we are starting to see TVs on refrigerators and computers on micowaves it shouldn't be too long before we get computers displays on the toliet. Then the mags will loose another of their advantages and the bad content of the web will be closer than ever to where it really belongs. I am starting work on a printer that prints on toilet paper so I will be ready for the emerging market and I should be able to "clean up". :wave: :thumb: :D Fred

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Hey there dash10, I produce a bit of that web type stuff. First post and it has to be about work :( . Niche site dealing with old houses and related topics. I roll the code and keep the system running from 1800 miles away. Hate to say it but you are correct for the majority of cases.

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
Hmmm... how about an online magazine? I'm a member of a forum that evolved into an online magazine and so far it has worked out splendidly.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
MR and RMC,I get em both and i enjoy them both.RMC is doing a bit on Meat packing plants(the new issue is part 2) its has been very well done and actually very interesting.Am i going to model a meat packing plant? Probobly not but it is still very interesting nonetheless.There was alot of information on the rail end of the plants operations which was worth the cover price(and to think i got that wonderful 39% discount by subscribing ) :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
eightyeightfan1 said:
As far as ideas and modeling techniques.......People here on the Gauge rock!!!!!

Uhhhhhhhhhh :) Exactly how are we different from a magazine?? We constantly have new information every day - instead of once a month. We have departments (forums). We have personal ads & now individual sales ads. We have more pics than any magazine and we have how-tos, tips & tricks. We have more info than any printed mag, And if you want to "take it with you" print it out for your reading time :D :D :D

F

Fred_M

LOL, it's really realistic, between the geocities side bar advertizments covering part of the magazine cover up, and the popups ads for spyware, I think you got the feel of a real magazine full of ads down perfect. :thumb: Fred

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Tileguy said:
....RMC is doing a bit on Meat packing plants(the new issue is part 2) its has been very well done and actually very interesting. ....
Yes that was a very well done article, I'll pick up part 2 when I get out to uncle Wally's mart.

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 14 year break. I don't see as many places carrying model railroading items or magazines. Has the hobby been in decline?

Now it is time for me to take a break from the one eyed monster.