Is it true??

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon
Right on Vic. You heard him: get out of that closet and stand tall! Modelers unite! Show 'em your BULB!!!

Jon, I have shown this thread to Dr. Feelawright here at The Institution. He said that we are all correct in our evaluations and that he is pleased that progress is being made:)

He also said that if society rejects us all that he will make a place for everyone here at The Institute.

But Nurse Meanie and Nurse Needmore Needles had put their wicked two cents worth in too and said that if anyone even thinks about "showing their BULB" ...THEY GET THE SHOT!!!!!!

:D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :p :p :p

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I got a whole lot of abuse when I was an RC model airplane nut. I did that in the summer and MR in the winter. A friend who is an avid golfer asked me why I was wasting my time with toy airplanes. I responded with "Look who's talken, don't you waste your time running after that little white ball???"
Not that I have anything against golf but his comment just got my dander up!!
Oh well, that's why I hang around here at the Gauge where there is great support for us model railroaders.
Thanks everyone

When asked, I tell people I don't have time for hobbies. I tell them I own a railroad that's just one step away from the creditors and bankruptcy. Sometimes, someone will say, "I didn't know you owned a railroad. Which one?" Of course, I always answer with a straight face, " the Central Missouri & Southern." Invariably, the reply comes back, "Holy cow! I didn't know you owned that!"

That's when the struggle with my conscience usually begins. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The best one, though, was just last spring, when I met a new neighbor who had just moved in behind me. After I told her I owned a railroad, she just looked at me and then said, "If you're rich enough to own your own railroad, what the hell are you doing living in a neighborhood like this." I about lost it.:D :D :D

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by kettlestack
............ Many don't realise the complexity of making a working model railroad and are astonished when they see a good layout.
..............Anyway, nobody is going to change my idea that model RR'ing is probably the most complex hobby to get involved with. There's geometry, woodworking, electrical/electronics, photography, adhesives, colour differentiation, texture, architecture and heavens knows what other techie things we get to know about in this super hobby of ours. But best of all.... WE MAKE IT ALL OURSELVES!!!!:D :D :D :D

Errol

what other hobby gives you the ability to create the world that you want to work and play in?

I don't get any negative feedback to the hobby question. Generally it is "Oh, what scale?".

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
what about the wire guys

When I tell people I have a traction layout ,
The answer comes back---- does it hurt. ---what hospital ?

Not realy but it takes a darn lot longer to qualify the statement

Then all they can think to say is " is`nt that a lot of work"?
What else can one say to this??

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
ITSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
MY
HOBBY:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
and I like it:eek:

Rusty Stumps

Originally posted by Clerk
Rusty, I have heard of beating the crap out but not getting the crap out
:confused: :confused: :p :p :p :p :D

Dick, I was referring to the "databases". I teach people how to get the crap out of the database as all they do is feed it and get it constipated. Keeps me employed and at 60 I'm in more demand than I've ever been.

Getting the crap out of the people is harder, even if you beat it out of them!:eek: :D :eek: :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by Matthyro
Recently I am hearing "There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." Is that true of us model railroaders and railroad photographers?....

:D :D :D

This has been an interesting read...I'm not sure if anyone's touched on this thought...Hasn't it long been the case, in western society, at least, that anyone exibiting any kind of creative bent, is viewed, with at least a slight degree of suspicion?
Artists & craftsmen, writers, musicians, actors,...these are all people who have a craft, & a strong desire to do it, learn it, improve it...they think about it when they wake up, they think about it when they go to sleep...sound familiar to any of you?
Is this obsessive? Is this a mental illness? Maybe...but I'll gladly take the illness over an empty life spent thinking of nothing but money, work, death, & taxes!
You can call it a hobby, an obsession, an illness....it doesn't matter. What matters is that you are taking something from your mind's eye, & putting it into some tangible form...that, my friends, is art! And that's what puts us a step above the other animals!
Albert Einstein once said, "When I lose that child-like sense of wonder...only then, will I become old,"

Ok, Ok, I'm going back in the closet now...Jon...where's Jon?:D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I suspect model railroaders are sometimes perceived as being odd because the uninitiated think of us as adults playing with children's toys. Media representations of model train buffs tend to reinforce that image with the sterotypic guy in an engineer's cap gleefully watching a train circle a tiny loop on an undecorated table top. But, as mentioned above, once visitors see mountains, trees, waterfalls, scale model buildings, complicated track work, operating signals, and authentic looking trains in action they usually express admiration and appreciation of the work.
Ralph

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I don't play with toy trains.....I operate my model railroad!
Toy trains are Brio's, evrything else is a model.(Well....maybe not that Thomas The Tank Engine set Bachman sells)
Well.....Thats what I tell them.