Is it possible to run O gauge outside?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by GKRR, Jan 2, 2003.

1. GKRR

GKRR New Member

does anyone run O gauge outside? eventually we want to have garden railway but we prefer the selection available with O gauge. If it's possible, what are the problems/obstacles related to doing it? what changes do you need to track, locomotives, power?

any help is appreciated - we've wanted to get into model rr for a long time and just started as Christmas presents to ourselves this year. we are happy with the indoor setup for now, but want to know about the garden possibilities too.

Glenn & Kathy
  2. Gardenrrguy

Gardenrrguy Member

Yes it is definately possible. I belive it is not uncommon in England. I have seen several nice O-guage garden railroads in the U.S. Your biggest concern will probably be the track. It must be robust enough to hold up outside.
    Other than that it sould be garen railroading as usual.

Good Luck, keep us informed of your progress.
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

You didn't say if you plan on 2 rail or 3 rail O gauge. Either way, it can be done. Atlas make UV resistant track in both 2 and 3 rail. Gargraves version is stainless steel tubular on wooden ties. Atlas' rail is solid nicklesilver. Either one is fine. If you plan on running standard electric trains, you may want to run a power feed line underneath the track to feed the power every 6' - 10'. If you are into battery powered radio control engines, then your problem will be the conversion to RC. Will you have the track on the ground or on an O scale viaduct. Lots of choices and questions.

Greg Elems
  4. Green Valley

Green Valley New Member

I am considering operating an outdoor O gauge railroad. I've heard from several sources that Atlas nickle-silver track is UV safe. What about structures? I am concerned that a nice plastic kit would not hold up. Would a plastic structure also warp in the sun? And how would one place them on the earthen layout? Do they need a base, perhaps made of concrete? I just want to do it right the first time.
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

6. Green Valley

Green Valley New Member

Thanks for the Web site info, it helped somewhat.

Green Valley