Is it feasible to turn a model into an RC boat?

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by green_elite_cab, Aug 4, 2008.

1. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

I have a 1/350 scale USS New Jersey by tamiya. It looks like there are areas to mount motors and the outer shafts have actual holes into the hull, but i'm curious if it would be a worthwhile thing to try and make my model capable of sailing across my pool.

I haven't finished it yet, so i haven't glued down the deck or anything, so its still open for work.

I've done alot of electronics work on my model trains, but i'm unfamiliar with RC boats, and while it makes sense to me that you can put a motor in anything, I'm not sure if this model was meant to sail on the water.

thanks for your advice

2. hmas

hmas Member

Sure it can sail on water! BUT! there's always a but, being a smallish boat it would only be suitable for a swimming pool sized area ie small waves. A large boat pond could have waves to swamp it.
    any small dc motor will do the job, & a 2 channel r/c unit, how far do you want to go with it regards price & complexity?
  3. green_elite_cab

Well the ship is over three feet long, and i guess about 6 inches wide, so i think it can handle most of the waves in my pool/local pond. I've already floated just the hull piece out on my pool and it seemed stable enough.

I can afford maybe around $150/$200 on the equipment. I don't want anything to complex, yet i don't think there is much out there i can't do. I can build circuit kits if thats what it comes down to.
  4. hmas

hmas Member

Ok The Tamiya specs are 2'6" long 3&3/4" wide.
    That's not, over 3 feet long & 6" wide. Long way from it in fact & you have floated the empty hull.

Good now select the motor/s that you want to use, work out the amperage draw along with the radio gear, & select a battery to suit, gel cells offer the best power to weight ratio.
    Stuff these into the hull & see how much freeboard you have.
    Leave space in deck (removable section) to get to motors & radio gear & to recharge batteries.
    Build rescue tug to salvage sunken ship:mrgreen:
  5. green_elite_cab

way to bust up the illusion, lol. just joking! i only took a quick guesstimation of the ship (for some reason, a measuring tape wasn't handy). Regardless, i'm pretty much new to model ships.

how would i build these components?
  6. hmas

hmas Member

Far cheaper to buy new or second hand, than to buy the bits & peices & build it.
  7. oldtamiyaphile

oldtamiyaphile New Member

Anything that floats can be made R/C :D

You won't necessarily get a great sailer, but assuming you know a bit about what you are doing and are realistic about your expectations, you should have a fine little model.

This one is only 1' long with about 1/4" of freeboard, but it's still fun in the fishpond :D

The first build wasn't great but with lessons learned, it's now a little charmer (photos of the old build).