Is anyone working with "Thomas the Tank" engines?

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
I keep hearing people ask how can we get younsters into model railroading.

Seems to me the Thomas line of electric HO trains made now by Bachmann would be an ideal way to get kids away from the video games.

The biggest drawback I see is that although they do have three different locos available, Thomas, Percy and James...rolling stock is very limited and buildings are non-existant.

Has anyone scratch-built Thomas like structures and gotten involved with their grandkids?

Love to see some layout pictures and ideas.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
While not the powered model, my daughter's Thomas and my son's Percy both share space on my diorama and layout with all my lokeys...

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 168

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Thomas The Tank Engine...

I notice that Lionel is also coming out with the Thomas line...just in time for Christmas. I surely hope that a whole generation of new model railroaders will cite this sort of thing as the beginning of a lifelong love.

A regular display at the local train show is an N scale Sodor layout, and is always crowded.

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
I already bought all the Ertl diecast Thomas stuff for my six-year old grand-daughter, plus the wooden Thomas table and wooden track. I also bought her a Lionel electric "O'-gauge Thomas set but it sounds like a coffee grinder when it runs.

Now my 2-1/2 year old grandson has taken over the Wooden Thomas set and was fascinated when I run my On30 stuff.

I really like the idea of the Thomas HO locos because most of the locos are short radius types and a fairly small pike could be built. Complex switching is out as the kids seem to like to see the trains just run.

Since I started this thread I found several Thomas structures made by Hornby, who made the electric Thomas line before Bachmann took it over. They also had quite a few locos and rolling stock.

I would sure like to know if the original Hornby equipment runs as well as the Bachmann...is it the same? Are their any comparison tests that may have been done?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Dan: The Hornby Thomas engines probably have coarser wheels than the Bachman ones. They may give problems over NMRA standard switches and crossings.
I haven't seen the Bachman ones.
There have been Thomas layouts at our Great British Train Shows -- usually featuring the G scale trains.
It's in the photos here.
And one of my friends has Edward on his layout!

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
David,

Thanks for the info.

Love the photos of the British railroading. Everything is so different from the monster locos used on US railroads. Even the buildings are so quaint-looking and they have a completely different style than American buildings.

Bet those guys have fun running a Thomas or Percy loco now and then.