Is anyone concidering the new 5dcc system?

RailRon

I had the opportunity to test it as a beta tester for Europe - and it works fine!

The only problem I found after some use: It tends to generate flat spots on the driving wheels of the locomotives. On the plus side: You can even exchange left and right hand - and it still works flawlessly! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ron

davidstrains

RailRon said:
The only problem I found after some use: It tends to generate flat spots on the driving wheels of the locomotives. On the plus side: You can even exchange left and right hand - and it still works flawlessly! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ron

So easy, a child could do it:D :D :D. In addition it uses less electricity than a LED in a locomotive. This means that we can take a small layout on a camping trip:thumb: sign1

cidchase

Its utility is greatly reduced if you have been around railroading long enough to be
limited to 3 or 4 digits. Maybe prosthetic throttles will be made available soon.

Pooh Bah
Railron: you shouldn't get flat wheels. Did you read the instructions? they clearly state that the gears are to be removed. :D

Now, everybody, admit it. This is really what you want to do with your trains, isn't it?

(There is more write-up in the April issue of Model Railroader. :rolleyes:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Oh yes. Definitely. I can't believe i wasted money on e a prodgidy express, when i could have had the 5DCC system.

to think brio thought of it first......

RailRon

Sorry David, at first I watched the movie on MR's website. Only after writing my comment here on the Gauge I found the article in MR magazine which arrived yesterday...:eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops:

Of course I'll follow that advice. I wonder if it suffices to file away the teeth on the gear wheels with a nice, coarse rasp. Shouldn't take too long, I guess... ;)

Ron

Gary Pfeil

This system will suffer from the same problems as todays dcc systems, it starts out sooo simple, but will become more complicated as time goes by, and modifications are made to make the system more suitable to a larger # of modelers. For instance, remember in the early days of dcc (and actually still true today) it was said "just two wires to the track, and you are done!" Well, now there are power districts, etc. Well, this new system will be attacked by those who don't have strictly linear layouts, and eventually there will be flywheel options offered where one will need to remove the now useless motors and replace them with expensive flywheels designed to get the train by those areas you can not reach. Of course, if sales are good on these flywheel assemblies, locos will start being offered with them.

I think you are both missing the best feature of this new system. With the potential power of the 5DCC system you could run super long 100 car trains using 2 engines up front and 2 engines cut in behind as helpers to "push" you through the tunnel until you reach the other side. It's a brilliant system. With the sound option your steam multiple unit lashups can now use whistle signals to negotiate grades too. I find no fault with this system, and the ease of it even has the wife excited.

Cory

PS The best part is, no more soldering gun.

Clerk

No more running trains in the wrong direction announce1 announce1 announce1 sign1 sign1 sign1

hooknlad

Can I sue MRR - i had that system when i was a kid about 30 years ago, maybe i was ahead of technology in my time. Even worked on Pops old Standard Gauge stuff, He said the techology would eventually ruin the Standard Gaude set ups.

davidstrains

announce1 Think of the potential with this thing. The whole layout could be automated. Everything could move when activated by the digital control unit - including the autos, trucks, animals and the LPB's.

I can see the advertizement now "Operate your entire layout, not just a control panel".sign1 sign1