Ironton Northern Update

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Here's a progress report on the construction of the Ironton Northern.

----------

Industrial trackage in Galipolis has been started. The first turnout, closest to the main, will lead to Boylerwerx, Inc., a model distributor and manufacturer. The curved siding roughly parallel to the main will be a team track. The unfinished stub to the right of that will be to parallel tracks serving two unamed industries each.

Attachments

• siding02.jpg
    siding02.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 202

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Update continues...

----------

All the track except for that to be laid in the street is finished in downtown Ironton. This includes the spur to Gilbert Gravel as well as the Ironton Terminal "Highline" over the Ohio River. The beginnings of a downtown business district can be seen in this photo as well.

Attachments

• ironton01.jpg
    ironton01.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 196

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Brian,
I know it's early days but it's coming on a treat!
Having some buildings handy (as you have) sure helps the absolute placing of trackage. Nice work so far sir.

What size is the layout please? (hoping you will say 6' x 2' :) )

Errol

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
The layout is 32" by 72"

Hopefully I'll have all the trackage completed before I take the layout to the Deshler Railroad Days festival next weekend. I've got a posse gathered there to help me finish things up, including ballasting of track and basic scenery. Maybe they'll even do some building kits for me. :D

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Here's a partial photo-trackplan for the time being. This only shows the Gallipolis side of the layout, however.

Attachments

• gallipolis01labeled.jpg
    gallipolis01labeled.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 137

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Mike, I'm modeling the mid-1980's; the layout is set in southeast Ohio. The Ironton Nothern is my main road, which is ironic because I don't have any INNR motive power yet. I do have one engine in the INNR shop right now, an Atlas RS-3 that a removed the cab from and coined it an RS-3B. The model has had body work completed and is awaiting detailing now. The Ironton Terminal is a subsidiary of the INNR, and I already have one engine painted for that line, a Life-Like SW1200. I also have a GP9 from Atlas in DT&I paint, which is one of the INNR's biggest connections. I also have two engines from our very own Catt; one is an Atlas/Kato GP30 painted for his Grand Valley railroad and the other is an Atlas SD35 that's a painted out Conrail unit which will most likely become another GVR engine. I'm looking at expanding the INNR roster, specifically with Atlas B23's. I'd also like to expanding the connecting road's units, including DT&I (Atlas GP38's) and E-L (InterMountain SD45-2's and Atlas Geeps).

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Here's a shot of the two Grand Valley units from Catt.

Attachments

• gvr.jpg
    gvr.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 121

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Here's a shot of the Ironton Terminal SW1200.

Attachments

• ironton02.jpg
    ironton02.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 120

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Kewl, I love terminal railroads. I might do the same when I model Wichita on my basement layout two years hence. I love combining a bunch of different railroads on one layout, so your plan seems really kewl. And I love the EL units; on my layout, the Rock bought them out instead of them flipping into Conrail, so that I can include EL units in Rock consists. :D

PS ( I'm modeling only a few years before you, in 1980).

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Brian!
The layout looks great!
I love all the industrial structures... that last structure looks reallt cool, going up, & over the tracks...
Also, in the first shot, you have the buildings up on risers...that's a great way to make structures seem much larger than they actually are...you can hide the risers with more wall sections, & end up with a very impressive city-scape.
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

p.s. Good luck with the train show!