Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by beejay, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beejay

beejay Member

Hello all
    I am a new member of this ring and although I feel that I am an experienced modelmaker, paper modelling is a new field for me ( I can vaguely recall making a Micromodel HMS Amethyst in the early 50s but it did not compare to other models I was then making with paper plating over balsa hulls and wire masts/guns etc)
    I am approaching retirement and can no longer risk using toxic adhesive and paints due to asthma so I think this will be an ideal pastime for me
    Sourcing paper/tools/glues here in Romania is not easy as model shops are practically non-existant (I think there are two in all the country!) so I am obtaining paper and glues from stationary suppliers and DIY shops
    I am still experimenting but I have so far made four models, each one with less defects than the previous one!
    Can I please pass on two tips that I have not seen mentioned before?
    1. Use plastic/wooden clothes pegs, with their 'noses' trimmed, or miniature magnets to hold some parts together whilst they are drying. They do not disfigure or distort the paper.
    2. Score wings and tailplanes on the inside/unprinted side so as to not leave an indentation in the leading edges. This also works better where ribbing needs to be simulated. Mark over a light box (a lamp under a piece of glass works well)
    Finally I have noticed some correspondence about translations
    May I bring to your notice
    This free web page translates Russian in to most European languages
  2. Kaz

Kaz Member

Hello from the UK

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Beejay,

Welcome to the forum, we are glad to have ya here!. So, are you a "general" modeler or do you have a favorite topic like aircraft?
    I saw you speak of getting supplies from a stationary and office supply store....thats the best places to get it in my opinion. However I also use photo paper for models.
    Anyway, I will keep this short, if you need some links to free models of whatever topic you want, all you have to do is hollar, I or someone else will know where to get them for you.
    Again, welcome to the forum and we all look forward to seeing some pics of your work.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Beejay, welcome to the group. Nearing retirement....building models of all types of media since Adm. Rickover took the sun critical.....body starting to remind you of all the dumb things you once did to it.....gee, where have I seen this profile before? You fit right in.....hope you can post a few pictures once in a while.
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Welcome aboard! I think you'll like this place. And if you like card models it's even better!

6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Hello Beejay,

As a fellow Micromodels fan I welcome you to the forum. Everyone I have met here online has been VERY helpful and friendly, feel free to share your work and feel free to ask any questions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.