Introduction

KevinC

Greetings to all. I registered with The Gauge last night and have really enjoyed reading some of the posts and looking at the pictures of peoples efforts. I have always been interested in model railroading and started an N gauge layout several years ago. Unfortunately it has been covered with an old bed sheet and hanging from my garage ceiling for the last 12 years. I recently had the opportunity to get it down and set it up in a more user friendly location and am looking forward to getting back into it again. I enjoy trains, miniatures, landscaping and photography, so this is going to be right up my alley. Thanks to the Internet I have been able to do a lot of research lately and am pleased to learn that model railroading is on the rise and that there is a lot more out there to work with now than there was even 12 years ago. I was also very pleased to find The Gauge forums, which will enable me to learn more quickly from other peoples experiences. My railroad will be modeled after my own twisted design. I plan to have a freight line and an old steam driven passenger train circa late 1800's. I want to focus on realism and detail, so weathering and DCC sound very promising and enjoyable. At any rate that's enough for now. I look forward to discussing things with all of you.

Attachments

• 60x48 layout.jpg
    60x48 layout.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 108

Pooh Bah
Hi Kevin and welcome to the Gauge.
Your old layout looks interesting.
I'm sure that you will have no trouble here finding answers to your questions -- probably a dozen answers for each question. :confused:

Welcome.

Interesting layout, kind of an interconnected double oval. Almost looks like two different railroads that connect with each other.

Yes, in the 12 years that you've been away there have been some major advances, but there are still plenty of opportunities to follow "Rule #1" (it's your railroad).

Glad to have you!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Hi, Kevin!
The layout looks good! I like the dogbone shape.
This forum is a great place for learning and sharing all things to do with model railroads.
Enjoy the ride! :thumb:

berraf

Wow, that´s something I never have seen before. What a interesting trackplan :)
It sure looks like you have a lot of possibilities in it.
What´s the size of it?

KevinC

BerraF
First of all, my wife said to say hi as she is 1/4 Swede. The old layout is 6'x4', but to set it up permanently I'm going to have to downsize it slighly to 5'-4"x4'-0" because I'm not going to be able to leave it set up all the time, so I'm going to start again from scratch and mount one end of it to a hinge 31" off the floor so I can stand it up on end when I'm not able to work on it and then be able to swing it down and use a desk to support the other end when I can play.. er rather work on it. I'd attach a drawing of the design, but the file size is over the 68KB limit. I'm also reworking the layout a little to where I'll have a loop and be able to reverse directions. Though space is limted, I'm trying to make the whole thing as versatile as possible.
On another note, it is really great to be able to talk to someone way over in Sweden about model railroading. This Internet is great.:wave:

Best regards,
Kevin