Introduction from a rank beginner

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Bargee61, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bargee61

Bargee61 Member

Good day Ladies and Gentlemen.

My name is Mike Jones, situated in the UK. Have been a radio control ship modeller for many years, mainly concentrating on 1/24th scale Thames Sailing barges.

Whilst looking at photographs of warships models from last year's Naviga C Class World Championships and admiring the craftsmanship of the finished results, it suddenly dawned on me that three of the models that I particularly admired were card models - what paper! Never, you simply can't make models that good from paper!! Oh boy was I ever wrong. A search of the Internet soon showed me just what could and is being done by very talented card modellers. The bug bit! Having had a soft spot for warships, especially WW1 and WW2 vintage, further searches were made to see what was available - spoilt for choice doesn't begin to cover it. Anyway to cut a long story short I have gone for Digital Navy's 1/250 Arizona - I particularly like the way the model is distributed as a set of PDF files; if I make a right hash of a particular part (and I have no doubt there will be plenty of that) just print it off again and start again. Brilliant.

Now all I need is the mind blowing skills of Scorpio!

Look forward to talking to you all in the future.

MJ :D
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Welcome aboard and enjoy...., sounds like we're in for a Thames barge or two...,

Best regards, Gil
  3. Corporal_Trim

Corporal_Trim Member

Welcome, Mike. :)
  4. FlintknapperGene

FlintknapperGene New Member

Hi Mike
    I notice there's no "Rank Beginner" heading under our names, and no little airplanes with training wheels; given the learning curve (paper, scissors, no rock, and God in the details) maybe a better term would be "Initiate."
    Me, I started this while laid up from foot surgery. Easy to do on my lap, and I could stop any time and not worry about an assembly being left in a vulnerable condition.
    I'll be interested in how your ARIZONA shapes up, y'just can't say enough about Roman's product! I'm available for commiseration if you like.
  5. Bargee61

Bargee61 Member

Many thanks for the welcome guys.

If things work out Ok might start a thread on how the Arizona build proceeds, warts and all.

MJ :D
  6. DN

DN Member

Welcome to the board MJ
    Just to clarify “ranking†issue, here are requirements to become serious, experienced card modeler:
    1. Finish in 100% one card model with more than 20 parts.
    2. Immediately after work is complete, you need to seat back, look at the results and be “positively surprisedâ€
    3. Start thinking what a masterpiece you will build as your next model.

High order, I know.
    Please note that starting 100 models, installing 10000 paper rivets on the ship hull or all bolts and nuts on an armor vehicle, but not finishing even one model do not qualify as an experience. :twisted:

And mandatory disclosure 8) – all opinions described above are mine and do not reflect opinions of board editors and ……….

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy and welcome Mike!

We are all glad to have you here and hope to see alot of you and your work. Being new, I figure you might like a few links to some ship models that 1. are free, and 2. provide a wide selection to choose from. So, here they are: ships of the japanese coast guard nice looking sailing ship. scroll down to pic, then click Modellen Isolda between arrows. ULTIMATE MODERN naval warship download page. everything from guided missile cruisers to the USS NIMITZ AIRCRAFT CARRIER. 3 nice looking model yachts uraguay ship downloads

I have a list of close to 100 links to free downloads of ships, planes, tanks, helicopters, rockets, cars, trucks, you name it, I probably have a link to it or can find a link for you. It represents many hours of "surfing the web". If you or anyone else would like them, email me at (<-- just click that to email me) and let me know if you are looking for something specific or if you want the entire list I have. Now be forewarned, that I havent "censored" my links, ie.. I am not sure that there is not some that ppl might would call "pirate sites". So, That being said, I try to avoid those myself, but in the end, let your judgement be the guide as to whether you feel "alright" downloading anything you find.
    But again, welcome to and we are happy to "pipe you aboard Sir *snappy salute*.

8. Bargee61

Bargee61 Member

Many thanks for all the info. Will peruse it all with interest.

9. barry

barry Active Member

Hi MJ

Welcome to the nut house you should have fun with Arizona.

10. gera

gera Member

Welcome.................If you like ships, do try the GPM Roma also and you'll have two beautiful ships...........enjoy :D
  11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Welcome Mike, this is a great site/sanitorium for us that are bitten and afflicted with the paper bug. Roman's Arizona is a great ship and good luck with it. I might suggest warming up if you need it with a couple of his designs that are free downloads, like his Admirable minesweeper or the Torpedo boat. This breaks you into his designs, and ship card modeling in general. Have fun, and Welcome.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.