Introduction and question

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by michi_skip, Dec 29, 2006.

1. michi_skip

michi_skip New Member

Hi-I'm a total N scale newbie, and pretty much a model train newbie, we have done one lay out-HO scale, for a friends child--that was so much fun I asked Santa for my own train, and got it. Its a N scale bachmann Iron Duke. My husband bought it for me and now I need to figure out what kind of layout I want-- I would like to do a ZOO layout with the train being a tour train--just not sure if I can find animals that small. What do you think is it possible?? Has anyone ever tried before??
  2. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 Member

wow thats an excellent idea, very creative. Its defidently possible, im not sure about the animals, zoo's have a wide variety of animals.
  3. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

I believe Preiser makes a wide variety of Zoo animals, and they look great!

Check out the Walther's website and type in the type of animals you want.

Warning: typing "Crocidile" may introduce to either a swiss locomotive, or ALCo's RSD-15! :) They be pricey though! ;)

Here's some links to get you started:
    Sea lion with tamer!
    Bears, oh my!
    Polar bears! (soon only to be in zoos, as the polar ice caps are melting at alarming rates, drowning them one by one! :( )
  4. MilesWestern

5. michi_skip

michi_skip New Member

Those are to cool--looks like I'll be working extra hours and saving some money--I wonder if I could craft them out of sculpey?? Have to look into it--maybe there are some molds out there.
  6. MilesWestern

I highly doubt sculpey would achieve the level of realism these fantastic figures have, and I've never heard of commecially availble animal molds in HO scale.
  7. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Miles -
    Michi-Skip would be looking for molds in N Scale - even less likely I think.
    Michi-Skip -
    Go for Preiser, perhaps make the zoo a small one to start with, and add to it gradually as cash beomes available!!!
  8. rowdygoudy

rowdygoudy New Member

Wouldn't it be realistic to model in HO scale, but use N scale equipment that is modified to carry passengers for the Zoo train.
  9. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Aaaah! I hadn't got that (duh!)
    Of course, the N Scale train is to be a 'garden-like' train for Zoo visitors. In which case, wouldn't O Scale be better for the people and animals? Assuming that O is roughly 7mm to the foot, then N Scale gauge (9mm) is roughly 1'3", a good representation of a Zoo type railway.
    Of course, that makes the figures and animals even more expensive, but they would be easier to make at that size!!
  10. michi_skip

michi_skip New Member

That's a great idea, could actually use a wider selection of animals then and they wouldn't be as fragile. Thanks!
  11. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member