Introduction and question: BNSF

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by carlitosbarbe, Sep 28, 2004.

1. carlitosbarbe

carlitosbarbe New Member

Hi everybody,
    first of all I have to say I am Carlos and I am new here. I like American trains a lot but as I live too far from the US I have not all the information I would like to.
    My question is actually two: I know BN is now BNSF, but I would like to know since it is this. And the second question is that I have read the transport of containers from the harbour of Los Angeles is made by BNSF, and I would like to know which class of platform wagons they use for this purpose; I am thinking about building some of these in H0.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

BN & SF merged in 1995. BNSF doesn't transport many if any containers out of the L.A./Long Beach harbors directly. The U.P. goes "on dock" at ITS and perhaps some other terminals there. In addition, when the U.P. bought the S.P. they also got the ICTF intermodal yard and Delores yard, both within 5 miles of the harbor. I think most of the container traffic the BNSF handles into/out of the harbor is trucked to Hobart yard in downtown L.A. and loaded on trains there. Virtually any double stack platforms in use are used on the BNSF, whether multiple units like the various 5 packs or stand alone "Husky stack" cars. Incidently, most of the double stack car sets came originally as 5 unit sets with draw bars between all units and couplers only on the outside end of each end unit, but due to wrecks, damage, etc. I see a lot of 4 unit or even 3 unit sets running on the railroad, both U.P. & BNSF.
  3. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

There was a show on the history channel showing the BNSF being directly loaded off the dock cranes. The show was about the cranes, but showed some railroad equipment and even a minor derailment of a well car which caused the ship to be late leaving. If it's like any other Satalite program it wll be on many many times again in the future. Watch for it.

As for equipment, these pages will show some of the equipment on the market. A word to search to find others is intermodal. That's what we call it over here. Fred
  4. Bikerdad

Bikerdad Member

Check out this fellow's site. He lives and breathes intermodal, and since he happens to be located there in Southern California, he can be a goldmine of information. Who knows, maybe you'll even see the light and go with N-Scale instead. :D

Deluxe Innovations
  5. b28_82

b28_82 Member

I'm not completely sure how you meant the 3 unit sets but that does explain the 4 unit sets. I know that there were sets of the Gunderson Husky Stack Cars that were originally 3-packs out of the factory. Also, if it is unclear what we mean by 3,4, & 5 unit sets; this means that it is made up of five individual cars, for the most part, but being as though they are drawbarred together or share trucks, they have one car number for that set. Each car is assigned a letter to distinguish it from the other car in the set. I hope this makes sense and if it doesnt i hope that someone can help explain it further.
  6. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Some of the first intermodal spine cars came as 10 packs too. They were later reworked into 5 packs for ease of use by the railroads. Fred
  7. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I think I've seen sets of three cars with the center car drawbarred to the two end cars on either side, with couplers on the outside ends. I know they didn't come that way. I think the railroads may modify them when cars are out of service for major repairs or they get wrecked.
  8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Yeah, I seen them that way too. Lots of them in fact. Fred
  9. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Yeah, I seen them that way too. Lots of them in fact. Fred