Introducing a newbie...

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Roxxii, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roxxii

Roxxii New Member

Hello everyone, I can see that I've found a group of people who are passionate about card models. Yay!!! I look forward to learning lots.

I have been working on Terry Pratchett's Unseen University for the past three weeks. There are eleven structures on the 'campus', I have two buildings to go. I don't seem to be able to find any reference to it here, either in the Architecture or Sci-Fi threads. Has anyone bought it/built it? I'd be grateful for any ideas regarding how it might be incorporated into a landscape or diorama.

A bit more about me - I'm currently studying Interior Design, I've completed the first year of a three-year part time course. I'm catching up with model-building during our long summer vac. (Australia) I've made a few architectural-type massing models, some doll's houses and a collection of miniature furniture. I like working with cardboard and foam core.

Cheers for now,
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hi Roxxii!
    Welcome aboard! It's good to have another modeler interestd in architecture here!
    Although I just love all subjects, architecture is one of my favorites!

I have heard of the unseen university and have seen pics of it on the net and it looks like a real fun one to put together. I think you are the first one here to mention it though.
    I don't think it is available here in the US yet. I have been watching on for it and although they have a write up, they still do not carry it.
    I think it will be there in the future and when it is, it's mine!!!

I sure hope you have a camera so you can share your build with us!

I know you will enjoy being a member here and I look forward to seeing you around the forum! Again, Welcome!

3. Kaz

Kaz Member

Welcome Roxxii,
    I cant remember if it was mentioned here or in the newsletter, but it has been mentioned, and concluded, that the Unseen University would only be bought by collectors of Terry Pratchett memorabillia, never to be built! So how about a few pics of it?
    ook ook!
  4. Roxxii

Roxxii New Member

Thank you!

Thank you for your welcome.

Re the Unseen University: Yes I too suspect that this magnificent book could remain a collector's item. But I bought it to build, not to sit on the shelf. Must admit though that it took a bit of courage to hack the pages out. In his introduction, Mr. Pratchett suggests that the reader buy two copies! Although it is worthy of remaining a collectable, it is a magnificent model, all reinforced and butressed. I am having such fun with it. All up, there are 876 parts to cut out. The instructions are clear and logical, with very good illustrations. If I have any criticism of it, there is not much tonal contrast in the rendering, which I think may have been done by hand, rather than with a graphics programme. I might be wrong, haven't been able to contact anyone who can tell me. However the overall effect is deliciously medieval, and I shall certainly get some photos up somewhere.

Over the past few days I have been drooling over all the cathedrals and castles available from the internet. But, trying to be strong here, I will be starting back at college early Feb, and the assignments will take over again.

Meantime I can show you some of my 1/12 scale work, this is a room box based on the style of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

PS I have removed this huge photo - a more reasonable sized image can be seen at
    in the 'miniatures' album.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold! If you are looking for paper crazed fools you are in the right spot :)

I already see you are good at taking pics so you have a leg up on me already! I am really excited to hear you are building the university! Please do make yourself a gallery or start a thread just on the university in the architecture section. I think lots of people would be rather interested in that! We have several members from down under at the site here too, maybe you can find someone that lives close :)
    p.s. when posting pics please resize them to no larger than 800x600 :) no biggie but it sure makes the pic easier to see.
  6. RichBohlman

RichBohlman Railroad Card Modaler

- RichB -
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Wow, that room looks perfectly real!

8. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

First off, welcome to the group. Yep, there are a bunch of nice models of buildings available for free or purchase. :)

Here is a board that has a thread about Building the UU. Go to The Reading Room then UU Progress Report.
  9. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Welcome Roxxii,
    I absolutely LOVE cardmodel miniatures! (can you tell?). Excellent room there. With your choices of Career and Hobby, which certainly go well together, you are sure to go far.

Smore picthh pleathhh (drooling...some more pics please).

10. Roxxii

Roxxii New Member

Thanks everyone, it's great to be able to share this fascinating hobby.

Sorry about the huge photo - I'm still a babe in arms with computer stuff. I'll see if I can learn how to resize it.

Here's the link to more photos of the room.

Most of the furniture in it I made from mat card. I love working with it. Easy to cut and paint, can be sanded and takes varnish. Most of the pieces I had to scale down myself from pictures on the internet. The tapestry rug is adapted from a cross stitch design, worked on 18 count canvas, it took me about 5 weeks.

Thanks for the link to the UU forum. If anyone's thinking of building it, that's the place to check out. There are lots of photos of various stages of completion.

11. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Your Canadian friend,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.