Introduce myself

AFT4449

Oct 5, 2006
South Central Wisconsin
Hello group, I have long been looking at these forums and decided to join this one. I like things here. My name is Dianne and I model in HO scale. My layout is small but I have big plans. I'm a working girl, that is I help on a dairy farm in Wisconsin. It's near a small town called Argyle. I am looking forward to learning lots from others. Any other ladies here?-Dianne

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
HI Dianne and welcome. I think you'll enjoy the folks here. This is one of the few sites that I've found where the subject matter matches the title of the forum. Nobody selling stocks or pots and pans. Just railroadin'

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
AFT4449 said:
Hello group, I have long been looking at these forums and decided to join this one. I like things here. My name is Dianne and I model in HO scale. My layout is small but I have big plans. I'm a working girl, that is I help on a dairy farm in Wisconsin. It's near a small town called Argyle. I am looking forward to learning lots from others. Any other ladies here?-Dianne

:wave: Hi Dianne and welcome to the Gauge. I think that there are a couple other girls here. :D

Feel free to ask questions, you will get answers from people that have been in the hobby for years and know what they are talking about.

I model in HO scale to and am starting a N-Scale layout also. If I may ask, what is your layout like right now?? Do you model in Modern day era or Steam era?? What are the diensions of your layout?? Do you have any pictures to share with us?? Also, you had mentioned thagt you have big plans, is this for a new layout?? bounce7

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Good intro Trucklover! :) And... HI DIANNE!! :wave: I sure hope you become a "regular" like the majortiy of us welcoming you! :) I look forward to your future posts! Any good buildings on your dairy farm? Could you give us a tour? Thanks if you can! :)

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hi Dianne, and welcome to the Gauge.:wave: As you probably already know, a great place to share information and to show off your work, or enjoy the work of others. In my opinion, though, the best thing about the Gauge is the people that you'll meet here. Welcome aboard.

Wayne

AFT4449

Oct 5, 2006
South Central Wisconsin
Wow, thanks for the welcome everyone. I'll make this quick cause I'm on my way down to the farm. The farm I work on milks about 90 head right now. I think were gonna get bigger. When I said big plans, Yes, I meant I am working on expanding the layout. Right now it is 13x21 feet, kind of a folded dog-bone. I don't have a digital camera but I'll ask Santa for one this year. My trains are mostly Milwaukee Road as my Dad retired from there. He is worried that I may be taking a risk by being on these forums. Dad worries a little too much at times, but that's ok. I have mostly diesels and a few Union Pacific engines as well. I don't want to give away my age(36) but I'm too young to remember steam. Well gotta go, I'll be on later tonight, unless I'm too tired.-Dianne

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge, Dianne:wave:

My beloved models too though home schooling our munchkins takes most of her modeling time.

Tell yer Dad not to worry...there's a couple of 2nd Ammendment types here to scare off the coo coos.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
AFT4449 said:
Right now it is 13x21 feet, kind of a folded dog-bone.

WOW:eek: , that is not really a small layout you got there, Mine is only 12' x 2.5' x 6' L-Shaped layout. And you want to expand? Dang I wish I could do that. Maybe when I get my own place I can have a bigger layput.:D

AFT4449 said:
I don't have a digital camera but I'll ask Santa for one this year.

Well I hope Santa is nice to you and gets you a camera so we could see your layout. Santa has already begun to get me presents;) :p if you know what I mean (well of cource you do.) A new Blast furnace complex is in store. It will have a Blast Furnace, Coke Oven & Quencher, and a Rolling Mill not to mention those coke car hoppers, slag cars and hot metal cars, mill gondolas and cusioned coil cars. I to model the modern era, I model mostly BNSF but I also like UP, CNW, and CSX.

AFT4449 said:
My trains are mostly Milwaukee Road as my Dad retired from there.

That is cool, there are a lot of people hear that have worked or family or friends have worked for the railroad. I have read some pretty cool stories here.:thumb: :D

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Welcome!

Here, it's all about the trains...and there's some great experts that will help you along expanding your empire. Wow, 90 head...hey...you're already off to a great start since you could make a dairy operation on your layout and you have the first hand knowledge!

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Dianne: Get rid of those cows. Fill the barn up with trains. You gotta get your priorities straight. Tell your dad "we have fond memories of the Milwaukee Road out here in Montana. Ask him if he has read the book " The Milwaukee Road Revisited"? Its a great read and written by the son of an old time Milwaukee employee.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
AFT4449 said:
Right now it is 13x21 feet, kind of a folded dog-bone... He is worried that I may be taking a risk by being on these forums. Dad worries a little too much at times, but that's ok.

Hi Dianne!

Glad you could join us! My layout is a 12.5 X 20 ft folded dogbone. :thumb: But I'd love to expand if I had the room! :) Tell your Dad not to worry...or, better still, invite him to join the forum too! I think you'll find this is a friendly place to be.

Oh, and yes there are other women here. Probably the most frequent poster is Val, otherwise known as Spitfire. I imagine she'll say hello when she reads your post.

Regards,
Ralph

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
green_elite__cab: How about the real thing? There are two "Little Joe's here in Montana. One in a city park in Deer Lodge and the other in Three Forks. Also a Box Cab in Harlowtown, I believe. All of the noted towns were on the Milwaukee route to the coast.

AFT4449

Oct 5, 2006
South Central Wisconsin
Good Morning all. Long night it was. The girls just gave us trouble all night. Little Joes'? Nah, I wouldn't have the patience to string power lines. Besides I model the line between Chicago and Milwaukee. That's the line with the tower at the EJ&E crossing at Rondout. That's where dad worked as an operator. He used to let me 'hoop' orders to the trains. Most of my stuff is SD40-2's and GP40's kind of mid 80's thing. I do have a farm scene on the layout, but it's not where I work. I like to keep work and play seperate. Hey Spitfire, Good to see a lady here!! Gotta go, the girls are calling. Dianne

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
the MILW catenary doens't look so bad. it lookes easier than PRR or NH catenary for that matter. i found a site detailing how you could scratch build MILW catenary. it looks like they just strung wirse from telephone poles. simple stuff, no auxillary trolley lines and transmission towers and random stuff, lol.