Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by rmks2000, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Hi. I've been lurking the last few weeks, and finally got around to joining this group. I first got started in paper modeling through the Fiddlers Green postcards, and was blown away. From there I've built some PMI and ModelArt kits and recently have been building some of Marek's planes. I build aircraft but am very much interested in trying ships and military vehicles. I'm just not sure how to cut and form such small pieces, especially on the ships.

Like most of you, I've got more models than time to build, but it doesn't seem to stop me from buying more. It's a sickness.
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

And a fun sickness too...:-D

Welcome to the forum mks!
    I know exactly what you mean.
    I've been buying models like crazy the past few months and have accumulated a very large stack, yet I have only built a few.
    Like you, I am starting to head toward deaper waters, so to speak.
    I have a lot of ships and military vehicles with well over a 1,000 peices to a model and I am setting my eyes on a few.
    I just need to build up on my skill level before I feel confident enough to tackle one of them.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and as the song goes,
    "Come on, get up and get down with the sickness!"

3. airbob

airbob Member

Ship building with teeny parts...

:) RMKS,
    I've built quite a few ships and reduced them to 1:600 scale...the ventilator shafts on some of them are so tiny that I had to roll them using a stick pin for forming th inside diameter...for cutting you might want to consider a magnifing lens stand free device for your work takes a steady hand and lots and lots of patience!!! Have fun!
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

My wife bought me a large 4" magnifying glass as a gift. I love it!
    It has a flexible arm about 18" long, the lens is rotatable and at the other end is a heavy duty clip which you can use to attach it to a table, desk, whatever.
    I get a great close up view and still have two hands to work with and it moves out of the way easily when I don't need it.

5. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

What type of blade do you use for tint parts? I normally use a #11, and I have ground down a chisel blade (don't know the #) to about 1mm. I just find it a bit daunting to try to cut small circular piecs. I once was able to build the gearshift (4 pieces) for Prudenzio's 1/35 kubelwagon. The shift knob was two pieces and it took a bit of time to shape/glue them.
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

The real tiny round peices are a pain but not too bad if you try this method.
    I use my #11 blade, straight up and down and use just the very tip of it in a sort of stabbing motion and just work my way around the part.
    It really just requires patience and time but the results are good.
  7. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Welcome to the forum rmks2000!
    Yep Russell, that technique works well, but if you want my opinion...Tiny Scissors will do the job EFFORTLESSLY! Search for a thread called "cardmodeling made easy-er" I have a picture with the scissors included.
    I do not know the name brand but I bought them at wallmart. I have several pairs of tiny scissors and they ALL will cut out even the period at the end of this sentence. They tend to bend the parts , annoying but repairable.

As far as what type of blade;
    I use the x-acto #2 handle and x-acto #24 blade. The tips NEVER break.
  8. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Welcome to the group. Yep, so many models to build, so little gumption. :oops:
    If I ever build all of the models I have saved, bought, or printed...:roll: :p :yep:
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Not only a card modeller, but he has a bike for an avatar! Excellent!!!

I use Swann Morton, handles and blades, usually the straight 10A, but SM do some tiny blades and two exacto-style handles, I believe for eye surgeons. Blade styles include the usual types and chisel-ended blades, with are just right for precise 'punch' cuts, rather than drawing the blade through the material. Lowest knife and blades, first pic on this page

I just sold a heap of plastic kits which generated enough cash to buy a bow and take up recurve archery! I still have enough left, combined with all the paper/card projects, for two retirements..... and the first of those is still 20 years away!

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.