Intoduction and First layout

Amrap1

A little attemp at weather a bridge. I used Terra Cotta for the rust...

WeatheredBridge.jpg

Ed

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
WOW, you have certainly made a lotta progress.

I like that houseing track and that rusty bridge looks SO SWEET, nice color choice :thumb:

KEEP IT UP :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Amrap1

Thanks Josh!

Tomorrow night I take my first airbrush class at my local hobby store. I hope to be able to do alot better after all 4 classes.

Ed

Amrap1, It is looking real good. I have been following your progress from the start and you are really moving along, wish I could say the same about mine. One question, what is TERRA COTTA, I did a search on it and came up with nothing, is it a color of paint or a brand of liquid rust like material. It looks really good on the bridge,,,, ,,,, ,,,, ,,,, st

Amrap1

Amrap1, It is looking real good. I have been following your progress from the start and you are really moving along, wish I could say the same about mine. One question, what is TERRA COTTA, I did a search on it and came up with nothing, is it a color of paint or a brand of liquid rust like material. It looks really good on the bridge,,,, ,,,, ,,,, ,,,, st

Terra Cotta is the color of clay pots. It's a brown and orange mix. It was the closest color I could find for rust on a brown bridge.

Ed

Amrap1

Somewhere I saw pictures of someone using Leggos as a form for replicating things like walls or brick buildings with Plaster of Paris. I wondered if I could make portals this way. My son and I gave it a try.

Anothermold.jpg

I let it set for 12 hrs then took off the leggos. They don't stick to the plaster, the run off does, but it either flakes off or washes away easily with water.

Takingthemoff.jpg

I like the way the lines show up in the plaster. I hope I can paint it without loosing them.

Ed

Amrap1

This is the first one I made.

FirstTry.jpg

Used the extra plaster to try another idea. The hole in the middle was made with a "pop' can. I thought I could cut it in half and make two portals....

Leftoverplaster.jpg

I don't think I'll be able to use it, but that happens. It WAS just an experiment!

Here's the second portal out of the mold. It will dry next to a heat vent in my house until tomorrow and the inside leggos will fall right out.

closerlook.jpg

Ed
Living and learning...

Amrap1

Im in the same boat as you amrap1 , I am working on the bench work now, so Im just getting started. Here is a good link for making mountains http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Q_L...elated&search= Its on you tube and consist of 9 videos that are about 9 minutes long. Its a techniqe im going to try . The final out come looks very nice. Thanks Roger

Watched all the videos. He showed alot of ways to model foam, but it would have been better if he did a beginning to end with one area.

just my 2 cents worth.

Ed

Amrap1

Since I didn't like the way the bottom of the gravel plant came out I added some brick. It looks purple in the picture, but it's really light gray:
BrickAdded.jpg

Ed

Amrap1

By "backdate", I assume you mean look older? I wasn't going for that, but it works for me. The brick is actually printed brickwork that is glued on and seal with a clear matte finish spray. And YES it is grey....bad photo.

Ed

Amrap1

It's been a while since I posted any progress. I have almost all the cork glued. Having a little problem with the incline to the new span bridge. I may have to start over on the hills between the two bridges.

Since I'm reading and learning from The Gauge, I thought I'd pass along maybe the best tip for any newbies.

If your local hobby store offers classes on any aspect of train modeling....TAKE THEM!
The money you spend on a class will save you twice what you could spend learning "as you go".

Ed

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Nice Weatherin job on the ol' Glacier Gravel Company!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Buildings just look better dirty don't theysign1