Intimidation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerback

tigerback
Mar 1, 2012
Forsyth, MO
After seeing some of the builds by all the modelers/designers here, I have to confess I'm somewhat intimidated and discouraged. I'm trying to find the time and the initiative to build some models. If (and when) I do, I'll try to get some pictures to send in. Meanwhile, great builds.

paper hollywood

There's no need to be intimidated. The guys who do all those great builds have plenty of faulty glue seams and mediocre builds behind them. One great advantage of paper modeling from self-printed pages is when (notice I don't say "if") you screw up you can just print another page and start over. You can just keep the boo-boos as your own little secret. Wade

Z

Zathros

Build a paper model of something that you want to model, and for yourself. That's the way to have fun in this hobby. If you state some of your interests, maybe we can guide you to some models that you give a go, and hopefully free. :)

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
I'm intimadated myself. I haven't even started a single model yet. That and procrastination and vision slipping. Keep promising myself, got to start one and then the time just flys by. Told Uhu that I was going to try his Carousel for the Discovery. Figured it night be an easy start. See so may beautiful builds here and else where, sort of scared. One day.....

Szdfan

Feb 24, 2012
I get the intimidation thing...it's easy for me to get intimidated because I can be a perfectionist and want things perfect the first time. But ultimately, I'm only hurting myself and denying myself something I would enjoy.

"Perfection is the voice of the enemy"

Psyscape

I agree with Zathros, don't be intimidated. Everybody starts somewhere.

Pick something you like, something you would want to have as a model and go for it. My very first model was also a rather difficult one. I picked one of the shuttles from AXM Paper Space and it was an enormous challenge. Following that was a bunch of mechs. I made two utterly silly mistakes when building the shuttle because I didn't fully understand the instructions, but these became very clear real fast - so, re-print the pages and do it again.

As with any hobby, if it's not fun, it's not interesting and not worth the bother.

With the massive amount of models around, it should be easy enough to find something you "want" to build. Once that decision is made, just go for it. Really, it doesn't matter if you make mistakes, or if there are seams or fold marks, or errors. So long as you're enjoying the process you learn from these mistakes and the next build is better.

It takes time and practice and patience to get as good as some of the people here. In a few cases (no names) their ability appears to be inate - and as with anything there are always going to be people who are at the top of the game. Either from natural ability or high skill levels. One can only but admire what they do and then carry on.

The very worst thing that one can do is to submit to fear that you're "not good enough" and that people will look down on you. While this is the case in some fields (such as gaming), it is not necessarily true of all areas of endeavour. Oh, I don't doubt there are snobs, I've met a few in other modelling forums. People who seem to think everything should be a DaVinci - well, that's what one's middle finger was invented for. :D

I've not seen anything of that nature here, the members of this forum are very encouraging from what I've seen, and more than a little helpful.

Don't be intimidated. It isn't necessary, and in the end it is self defeating.

Looking at some of the models I've made, I can see obvious errors on them. But, I made the thing, I learned from the mistakes, and I enjoyed making a mess and making the model.

That is what it's about in the end. Enjoying yourself.

Eric Ferguson

Sep 13, 2005
Thanks Psycape for what you wrote and also Zathros. Szdfan, a friend of mine calle me a perfectionist and therefore afraid of failing. Got to face the facts that I *will* fail at first, and can only get better in time.

Szdfan

Feb 24, 2012
Szdfan, a friend of mine calle me a perfectionist and therefore afraid of failing. Got to face the facts that I *will* fail at first, and can only get better in time.
There's no such thing as "failure" here -- just not getting the results you want. This is a hobby...it's supposed to be fun. This is neither a test nor the Spanish Inquisition.

If you go to the 1/144 DC-3 thread, you can see a test build I've done of the cockpit. Is it up to the standards I've set for myself? No...but I'm closer now than I was before. I got some really helpful ideas and I'm about to take another crack at it.

One of the things that I'm discovering about model building is that it's a form of problem solving -- how do we make in the real world the model we envision? I have a friend who produces and sells resin train models. He spends a lot of time experimenting and trying out things in order to produce unique models that are not otherwise commercially available. He's had set backs and experiments that didn't work out, but he eventually gets there. He gets a great amount of satisfaction from solving "problems" -- i.e. how to scratchbuild N scale boxcars.

As I'm learning paper modeling, I try to keep the same attitude and enjoy the process. I'm also a perfectionist with unreasonable standards. I also get intimidated. But when I allow that to keep me from building the models I want to build. all I do is hurt myself.

It's just paper and glue. Go have fun.

Z

Zathros

Tigerback started this thread, and has not posted since. It's all been said. Time to build. This forum has proved itself to be a very supporting community. Participate in the way you feel comfortable. You can just look at models, offer information, build, design, it's up to you. You will never be intimidated here, or called a failure.

We can end this now. Build a model, whomever, and do it because it is something that interests you. That is more than enough. Thank you all for your input. If you build it, they will say, "Great Job". That's what we do here. This is a good place to tart out building card models. We are a small knit, very accepting group.

I am closing the thread, it has served his purpose, and some of the best minds here have said it all! You can't go wrong. :thumb: c :)

Tigerback, make a model, if you need help, we are here, same for you Eric. This forum is all about support, and it is been proven day after day here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.