InterUrban queries

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
Right, decided that i really need some help for getting my Interurban up and running.
First, what sort of boxcars can i run?
Second, how do i make live overhead work?
Third, where can i get some prototype information and track plans from?

mykroft

Nov 15, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
You'll want to leave the boxcars stock if you plan on doing interchange with the world, as up until the 1960's the roofwalks were required for interchange service. Lowered brakewheels, or a side-accessible mount like on a gondola might be an idea though.

F

Fred_M

Thanks for helping him Chris. Chris is one of our juice jack (gurus) (guri) experts. :thumbs: Fred

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ross: are you planning to use pantographs or proper trolley poles?
I made trolley overhead decades ago using fine tinned wire for both the span and contact wires and 1/4" dowells for poles. I used commercial frogs and some commercial ears (the fixtures between the span wires and the contact wire.) You can get away without frogs if you use pantographs, but you need the ears or else the pans snag on the cross wires.
Cars will depend on how rustic your line is. A big line like the South Shore was built to main line standards; some smaller lines needed special cars with round ends and radial couplings. I liked the look of Roundhouse (MDC) old timer cars.

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: Ross, when you are talking to Cris about traction you are talking to the Top Gun, The Man, the Geru of Traction, hell he can even tell you how to get the ozone odor outta yer cloths!! I would call him a God of Goodies but his head may swell toooooo much. hehehe :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wave: Jim

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
im going to be using pantos on my line, although they will be very modern looking single arm types as i prefer the look of these to the cross/diamond style of pantos.

My line isnt that rustic, but it is connecting two large towns out in the sticks with no other access to rail transportation so i am going for the slightly more modern style boxcars. The boxcar ive altered is a "home road car" (i.e. not for interchnage use) so it doesnt matter about its aldders being cut down and the roofwalks removed.

yeah i did check out the ploe making thread , think i will be doing it a more simple way using the wooden dowel i have at home and running a wire up the side of it as my soldering is on the very poor side and i tend to leave massive blobs of solder when i do any.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
LOL, ive got a lot of research to do and i still havent found a trackplan i can use (until i looked at an old MR earlier and found a plan for a South Shore based traction layout, me thinks i will be using parts of that trackplan, albeit a single track version!).
already got two locos, three boxcars, a streamliner and a business car though so i am off on my way now!

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Good stuff Ross. I have used and still do btw 1/8th dowl for poles.
BUT, the tension you will have to put on the overhead wire(phosphate bronze 26 gauge I think ) will eventualy pull the wood pole out of whack on the curve sections :( unless you put hangers to the ground to keep it in place.

I have broke a few (hamfisted LOL) so I went to 1/8 brass rods and threaded them :D they dont brake now but you should see my hamfisted hands :eek:

Passenger service on most Traction lines was the first source of revenue to decline therefore you will a lot of passenger equipment pulling freight.
As most roads at some point scratched built there own equipment it give us a bit of freedom :p :D :rolleyes: when we build or "stuff"

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
jmarksbery said:
:wave: Ross, when you are talking to Cris about traction you are talking to the Top Gun, The Man, the Geru of Traction, hell he can even tell you how to get the ozone odor outta yer cloths!! I would call him a God of Goodies but his head may swell toooooo much. hehehe :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wave: Jim

Thanks for those kind words Fred and Jim:wave:
Got ta get me ed through the door now :eek: