Intermountain FT units now avail in ERIE black & Yellow

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Picture of FT's with FA1

I threw in a Lifelike FA-1 for comparison. The FA-1 lacks the handrails but is a lot of loco for the money.

It's nice to have more than one F unit available in ERIE. I would like to see an F3 or F7 to join the fleet.

Attachments

• ft-ft-fa1.jpg
    ft-ft-fa1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 108

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Thanks Dan they look great a far cry better then the Lifelike units.If the Mrs. isn't looking over your shoulder would you mind telling me what you paid for them and where you got them?

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Pat,

I got them at the "Train Depot" in Winter Park, Florida.

They were put on special order for me last spring and were the only two sets in ERIE ordered for that store. The list price is $199.95 per set. Not a large call for ERIE in Florida.

I still like my lifelike Alco FA1/FB1 sets. When running around a layout it's hard to see if an N-scale loco is superdetailed or not but I can tell the difference between Alco's and EMD's. I want both of them.

Sometime this week I hope to get the chance to run these new Intermountain EMD units on my test track and compare them to the Lifelike Alco's and Atlas EMD geeps.

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Cool! Great shots of those 1st Generation diesels.

We sure have it good now days for what is available and the quality. I remember when N scale was just emerging. No handrails on the F's and the handrailings on the GP's and RS units looked like a painters ladder on its side. They ran poorly at slow speeds and could compete with Lionel at the drag races.

Greg

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Greg.

I went to the Intermountain site when I saw they are coming out with the F-3 in N-scale.

Hopefully they will do the ERIE black & yellow on that one too when they do new releases.

Yes, N-scale is really getting interesting for ERIE guys.

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Blake,

Oh yeah, you're gonna want these babies.

Did you ever do any ERIE repaints of the Bachmann F-7's?

I never bought any of Bachmann's F-7's because I remember earlier stuff from them that started out at about 50 MPH and probably topped out at over 200. They were noisy, with poor detail. Hopefully they have made advancements like in their recent G and On30 stuff.

Chris333

Jul 29, 2003
community.webshots.com
F3s

So far the only IM F-3s anounced have large angled number boards not the smaller flat ones (like the FT) None of Eries F3s had the large boards, except for a set they picked up from the O&W.

Hopefully IM will do all versions though.

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
ERIE FT-B Numbering Question

I noticed the Intermountain FT-B units do not have road numbers.

My A-units are in Road Numbers 702 and 703. Later on ERIE changed the numbers to 7021 and 7031 and I've seen pictures of the B-units with these numbers.

I'm thinking the 3-digit FT's had un-numbered B-uints and the 4-digit FT's had numbers on the B-units.

Does anyone know for sure?

Attachments

• erie ft-b.jpg
    erie ft-b.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 57

Chris333

Jul 29, 2003
community.webshots.com
Most of Eries EMD F units were made up in sets of 4 (ABBA) same thing with alcos FA1-FA2s. I cannot find any pics showing any erie emd B units with numbers, but the alco Bs do seen to have them.

All 4 locos of the "set" had the same number. 702 would be 702A-702B-702C-702D. When they were about to become Erie lackawanna units (1960) they kept the paint for a while and were re-numbered 7021-7022-7023-7024.

If you want to run yours ABBA they should have the same number on both sets, but some did get broke up from time to time and I doubt anyone would notice.

I have 2 AB sets of lifelike 725 FA/B1's each set has 725A-725B, so someday I need to replace one of the A's with a D, and one of the B's with a C so I can have an ABCD set.

Sounds like a pain:confused:

Chris

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Hi Chris,

The only ERIE book I have for reference is "The Erie Railroad Story" by Paul Carleton.

He has several pictures of the original FT's but I can't see any numbers on the "B" units. Later on, as you mentioned, ERIE renumbered them to the 70XX series. These have numbers on the "B" units.

I bought two sets of the Lifelike Alco FA1/FB1 with number 729 and they make a great looking lash-up. I also have two sets of the earlier Lifelike F2A/F2B with number 737. The older F2 sets only had the "A" unit powered so I bought extra A units and modified them to fit the "B" unit shells. The F2 lacks flywheels and the split-frame chassis but I still like the little "growl" they make and the power is there.

Lifelike has redone their FA2/F2B with split frame and flywheels but has not done them yet in ERIE.

The new Intermountain FTA/B's are beautiful and now I see Intermountain is coming out with a line of F-3's. ERIE is not in their original release but I can hope for them in a future release.

For so long there were almost no ERIE locos in N-Scale. Atlas made their beautiful RS3 and GP7 and then Lifelike gave us the FA2, FA1, PA1 and E8...things are much better now for ERIE guys like us.

We could use a switcher in ERIE livery.

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Marty,

Thanks for finding that picture. I saved it and blew it up so I could read the numbers. The "A" unit is 710D and the "B" is 710C.

So...this is proof ERIE had both numbered and un-numbered FT"B" units in the earlier 3-digit road numbers.

When I went to the Intermountain website all of their FT-B units are not numbered for any railroad.

When documenting train info you almost have to have a specific date to match the prototype.