Intermodal ship

plbab

Mar 21, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Anybody out here have a intermodal terminal on there layout? If so do you have a container ship also? If you do where did you get the ship? Are there plans to build a ship ? This is in N scale. Paul

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I know there was a thread a few months back in the Scratchin' & Bashin' forum on scratch building a container ship, & I think it was N scale...try a search for "container ship".

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Intermodal is indeed containers and is how most freight is shipped today.
And no need to apologize about being "Ignorant" as it is a valid question and you learn by asking.
Besides, if everyone knew everything, then there would be no need for excellent forums such as the Gauge;)
Have a great one and Cheers!

Terry

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Thanks Terry, Over here we just call them container freight. Intermodal, when I first heard the expression, made me think of something like leasing rolling stock.

Anyways, containers are way too modern for my taste, hehehe, I like to see mixtures of freight on flat cars and gondos (ie, eode stuff and such :D :D )

Errol

Originally posted by kettlestack
I feel so ignorant... what is "Intermodal"? at the mention of a ship, I guess it must be to do with containers.

Errol

Errol,

"Intermodal" simply means that the freight (usually containers, but also road trailers) can be interchanged between different "modes" of transport, eg road, rail or ship.

Containers are the most obvious example with international standards governing the location of attaching points etc so that, wherever they are in the world, containers can be loaded on ships, trucks or trains. Thus, an "intermodal" terminal such as I am building on my NTRAK module is designed for the transfer of containers between "modes" - road to rail, rail to ship, etc.

Paul,

I wanted to have a container wharf on my NTRAK module but obviously, at full scale size, I couldn't include a container ship (it would have been longer than my entire module!).

I decided to incorporate a "marine" flavour by putting a Noch barge alongside the wharf and loading it with containers. Not exactly prototypical but something you may consider. (I have yet to weather it and build some sort of loading crane/s)

Attachments

• n-train(5).jpg
    n-train(5).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 225

plbab

Mar 21, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Gavin, I have been to the Chase Marine web site he did a excellent job. I like the idea of your Noch barge. A ship even in N scale would dwarf any layout i think. Where did you get the plans for the barge? Thanks Paul

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
This looks like a good opportunity for those of you who are talented painters or photographers to extend the "3d model" into the backdrop using one of those mediums.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Well, I don't know where the Kato...

Well, I don't know where the Kato container ship is on their site but I know they have/had one.

Here's a pic I snatched just a few weeks weeks ago-

You may have to order it on-line from one of the suppliers or check your local hobby shop and see if the can get it, oe ebay, etc.

Mark

Attachments

• containership.jpg
    containership.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 186