Intermmountain SD-45-2

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Dan Vincent, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Dan Vincent

Dan Vincent Member

I like N-scale locos with ERIE or Erie-Lackawanna paint scheme.

My Kato E/L SD-45's run flawlessly and I was wondering how the Intermountain SD-45-2 runs as it is available in EL livery.

Anyone have any comments on the IM SD-45-2?

Ather favorite E/L runners of mine are a pair of Atlas GP-35's.
  2. jimk

jimk New Member

I have 2 IM SD45-2 painted for Conrail. By themselves they run fairly smoothly, make a little noise but that's acceptable to me. My main concern is their pulling power. Although I have never weighed them, they seem lighter than my Atlas and Kato locomotives and thus don't have the pulling power I would like. I am using them in helper service but I would like to use them as head end power once in a while.

I will try to test to see how many cars one will pull compared to another 6 axle Atlas and Kato loco.
  3. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I've got one of IM's tunnel motors and compared to a Kato unit of the same size, well, IM looks better to me but the Kato runs more smoothly. Of course, this is just my opinion...and I'd buy another IM in a heart beat and as a matter of fact - I've got another one on order.
  4. Dan Vincent

Dan Vincent Member

Glad to hear they run decently. Perhaps a little weight could be shoe-horned into the shell.

I have two sets of I/M FT A&B units in ERIE that run very smoothly so I have no problem with getting another I/M product.

When it comes to EL power I think a SD-45-2 is about as big as it gets.

Maybe one of these days I'll start picking up larger Conrail locos.