Interesting Locos

This afternoon, on our way back from the Kitchener Train Show, Spitfire and I stopped at the Kitchener station to take some photos. Out on the track, we saw this combination of locomotives. I thought it was an interesting assortment of both colors and reporting marks. I would appreciate any information anyone can provide to fill in the blanks.

Attachments

• Loco Rainbow Kitchener 001_resize.jpg
    Loco Rainbow Kitchener 001_resize.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Loco Rainbow Kitchener 002_resize.jpg
    Loco Rainbow Kitchener 002_resize.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 149
More Questions

Here are a couple more pix of the "mystery" locos at Kitchener.

Attachments

• Loco Rainbow Kitchener 003_resize.jpg
    Loco Rainbow Kitchener 003_resize.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Loco Rainbow Kitchener 004_resize.jpg
    Loco Rainbow Kitchener 004_resize.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 162

railohio

They're just lease units, eh. The last one looks like it belongs (or did belong) to RailAmerica. Is there a shortline in town?

Pooh Bah
They're the locomotives of the Goderich and Exeter Railway. GER runs (owns?) the ex-CN lines from London to Georgetown and from Stratford to Goderich. Part of Railamerica, They use an assortment of used locos, with a wild assortment of paint schemes. If you're lucky, you'll see two the same in a train.
They usually run a train in early afternoon eastbound and it continues past Georgetown onto the CN lines and I think it ends up at Macmillan yard in north Toronto.

spitfire

It was a very interesting consist, that's for sure. Here are some more pix from today.

Attachments

• train1.jpg
    train1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 129
  • trains2.jpg
    trains2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 130
  • trains3.jpg
    trains3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 129
Thanks to everyone for information, both here and elsewhere. I've gotten lots of answers and have maybe even learned something <G>

LoudMusic

Brian Schmidt said:
They're just lease units, eh. The last one looks like it belongs (or did belong) to RailAmerica. Is there a shortline in town?

They look like they're all vastly different GPs. Do you know which model each of them are?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
The 2236 looks to be a former UP. The 4046 has the UP shield on one of the doors, and with that paint is probably a briefly U.P. owned ex C&NW.

LoudMusic said:
They look like they're all vastly different GPs. Do you know which model each of them are?

The RailAmerica unit looks like a GP35 (the presence of the smaller 36" fan on the radiator section is a clue).

The center unit looks like a GP40 (no water sight glass, squared-off rear cab roof says it's a non-Dash-2 GP40).

The LLPX unit is a GP38-2. By the way, that GP38-2 has an interesting history-- It was a former Long Island Railroad unit. It originally had no dynamic brakes, and it had no front plow (had a Chessie System curved bumper instead). LLPX bought it, rebuilt it with dynamic brakes, and put on a UP-style front plow and gave it a quasi UP paint scheme. This is how the unit used to look:

Attachments

• lirr_269_copy.jpg.52001.jpg
    lirr_269_copy.jpg.52001.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 92

KCS

Well, the firt is an EX UP unit and the second looks to me to be the Reading line colors so I'm thinking it's an EX Reading locomotive. As for the third one, well I've seen one in the same colors myself but had no lettering, just numbers.

Actually, LLPX #2236 was never a UP locomotive. Locomotive Leasing Partners (LLPX) just painted their locos that way.

LLPX #2236 was a former Long Island Railroad engine, purchased by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority new in 1975 (MTA was the NY State agency that ran the LIRR, Metro North, and NYC Subways). That GP38-2 hauled LIRR commuter trains until 2001, when LIRR got rid of all of its GP38-2s as the new dual-mode DM30ACs came on-line.

You can tell from the LIRR-specific set of features on that loco-- Square marker light mounts (which remain after they plated over the lights), handrails that do not quite go as low on the steps as engines on most other roads do, jumbo anticlimber on the front, plus the square jacking pad plates.

I have followed LIRR locos for years, for obvious reasons. :D

Hope this helps!

Pooh Bah
GEXR roster is listed in the Canadian Trackside Guide. I think everyone should be sold a copy when they cross the border.

I won't post the full list, but they have 14 active locos and 5 stored. They range from GP7 to GP40, although the GP7s and GP9s are stored. There are also 2 FP9s.