Interesting Japanese Apollo models...

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by jparenti, Jun 5, 2008.

1. jparenti

jparenti Member

PLEASE tell me someone can translate this site for me... :mrgreen:
    This is quite cool, if it can be had for building. :thumb:
  2. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

Hmmm... google translation makes a mess of it. Very nice tho'
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

'Apollonia' Japanese Apollo Paper Models

Great find, jparenti,

Very colorful models. The J-2 engine looks almost as detailed as Greelt´s F-1.
    The Launch Escape System paper model in 1:48 scale looks like a very welcome addition to the existing Saturn V 1:48 scale models by Ton Noteboom and Greelt Peterusma.

Best regards,
    Bengt :thumb:
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Japanese Saturn V S-IVB Stage wirh Apollo CSM

Have you seen the S-IVB Apollo 8 model? It looks great. That, along with the Launch Escape Tower model, would be a great addition or kit-bash item for Ton´s or Greelt´s Saturn V S-IC and S-II 1:48 models, using Greel´t extraordinary F-1 thrust structure and perhaps this J-2 engine model as well.
    I guess the saturated, 'toy-like' colors of these Japanese models could easily be adjusted in Photoshop CS or any other image software.

It would be really great if someone on this forum with a little knowledge of Japanese could translate the gist of these pages, how the models can be ordered, the pricing and so on. Thanks.

5. jparenti

jparenti Member

I hope someone can. I was thinking that they would make a great addition to any Apollo display, alongside Greelt, Surfduke, and Ton. :)
    Apparently the models are available on DVDs. I'm gonna check with the Yahoo model group and see what they think...
  6. logicman

logicman Greybeard

I have just emailed apollonia, using basic phrasing so that he/she can use babelfish or dictionary to translate if needed.

I have asked apollonia to give prices and postage, either to me by email or in this thread.

And now - we wait.:thumb:

7. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

yesterday I sent an email me too. No answer yet.

We keep waiting ......... :confused:

8. Michiru-Kaiou

Michiru-Kaiou Member

One DVD costs 33$ (21€). Shipping is approximately 5$ (3€), but I think that's inside Japan (couldn't figure that out). If you buy more than one DVD (or at least Apollo 13 and the Saturn IV-B together) you pay the same shipping costs as if you're buying one DVD.
    Files on the DVD are in PDF.
    But please don't hold me responsible regarding those infos, my Japanese is very basic and my last lessons were a few years ago.

best wishes Michiru
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollonia 1:48 Scale Paper Models

Arigato Michiru,

Thank you very much. Yes, that is quite pricey but they might be worth it. Do you know if the Apollo CM and SM models are included in the S-IVB model?

10. aki

aki New Member

「アポロ8号 with S-IVB」

と、そんなワケあって、DVDでのデータ集であります。ご要望の方は、 宛にメールにてご連絡くださいね。

are as follows.

"The Apollo 8 with the S-IVB" , which contains J2 engine data.

It's a DVD. All the data is in a PDF document which consists of 44 pages. All the pages are in A4 size. If you want the one, shoot me an email to

Price: 3500JPY, Shipping:500JPY

これはFREE~! 無料ダウンロードできます。

are as follows.

The base plate for a J2 engine can be downloaded. It isn't contained in the DVD. It's free.
  11. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

About $33.23 USD plus 4.75 USD shipping.
  12. jparenti

jparenti Member

I don't think the pricing is too bad. Most of the models I buy are less than $10.00, so I can't complain if one of them is more. I really want to try that S-IVB and the J-2 engine, though. :)
    I've sent an e-mail as well, so we'll see if I can manage to order it. If I do, I'll let everyone know how it goes.
  13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

I agree, jparenti,

It seems the Apollo 8 S-IVB model includes many of the other models (CM, SM, Launch Escape Tower, J-2 engine) so if you look at it that way, it is well worth the price.
    I will follow your efforts closely and if you are able to order a DVD, I might do that, too.

14. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I emailed apollonia the other day, too, asking if the DVD contained other models. I haven't received a reply yet. But, I guess it takes awhile for those emails to make it to the other side of the world and back.
  15. the mole

the mole Member

Has anyone got a reply form apollonia? I email them over two weeks ago but haven't got reply yet.
  16. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

No, I didn't
  17. jparenti

jparenti Member

I also have not recieved a reply. Perhaps my e-mail was stuck in a clogged tube, but I doubt it. :mrgreen:
  18. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Wow, that's a very detailed model. My translation says that the "Apollo 8 with S-IVB" DVD contains the J-2 engine, S-IV stage, CM, SM, and adapter. The green text on the "Apollo 8 with S-IVB" page states that the LES is not included on the DVD. The Apollo 13 Splashdown DVD is also 3500 + 500 yen and includes the capsule with full interior, tow tractor and trailer.

19. gkcooper

gkcooper New Member

20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Thanks, gkcooper,

That is indeed an interesting addition to the model line. On the whole, those Apollonia models are very ambitious.
    I remember the movie 'Marooned' very well (from 1969), about an Apollo mission, 'Ironman One', that gets stranded in Earth´s orbit and the ensueing rescue operation (with an orange-colored lifting body rescue vehicle and a Soviet Soyuz spacecraft). It had a rather well-known cast, too - how about Gregory Peck, David Janssen, and Gene Hackman?
    The launch was especially impressive on the big, wide screen, with footage from a real Saturn V interstage separation and stereo effect sound. It was an expensive production, filmed in 65mm and released in 70mm Cinerama/TODD-AO. I think I actually have it on a new DVD somewhere.

Here´s a link to the Internet Movie DataBase: