Interesting Happenings

TexDoc

A few weeks ago we had a topic about a particular internet dealer who was judged to provide lousy service. Who was in fact downright deceitful in their business dealings. I pointed out that I had posted to a topic on this dealer on another forum and was not only slammed by an administrator but the topic was closed and conveniently disappeared so it could not be searched. This dealer was and is an advertiser on that forum.
In the last couple of days another member opened a topic relating a bad experience with this dealer, not receiving ordered merchandise for a month and not receiving any notification and being charged on his credit for what was yet to be delivered. When he finally contacted the dealer he was told one of the two items had been sent and was then credited with the non available item off his credit card.
I saw several who immediately joined in to relate similar experiences with this outfit.
It didn't take long for the posters to be chastised and the topic closed.
Interestingly I had posted that if history was any example this was exactly what would happen. Regardless of how many modelers have bad experiences with a dealer (always the same one it seems) don't warn the unsuspecting potential customer and maybe stop the $$$$ to the forum.
Thankfully The Gauge does not practice censorship, even (it appears) when it might be to their detriment.
Doc

Don't be coy (!!) - which forum is the one that censors? - I'm sure the Gauge won't censor that!
And if it's a purely factual account of the forum, it's not actionable!!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
While we try to provide members the opportunity to exchange experiences regarding sales we do ask that you remember that we cannot takes sides in such issues since we rarely get both sides of the story. The term "Buyer Beware" has been repeatedly mentioned as a caution in transactions. We prefer that if members have a negative experience with a product or a dealer that you express it in a factual manner and avoid a lot of heated adjectives about that item or person.
Thanks and happy shopping!
Ralph

TexDoc

I must remain coy. It isn't my intent to cast stones at the offending forum. I was complementing The Gauge for the splendid way the forum is operated as opposed to others.
Doc

cidchase

Thankfully The Gauge does not practice censorship, even (it appears) when it might be to their detriment.

A few months ago The Gauge was slammed on another forum for being too harsh
in their censorship!! :D :D :D :D Who'da thunk?? Our umpires must be striking a perfect balance!! Doc's right, we got a purty good thing goig here. Thanx, mods!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Sometimes I think things can be a little too censored here but I try to respect the rules. Or at least correct myself if I break one. That being said, I did finally get a refund from the comapny in question for my order that was never processed. Whatever problems they're having, I hope they solve them soon. Giving back all those refunds is eventually gonna throw 'em into bankruptcy.

Torpedo

There is a law (I forget exactly which one) that protects forums such as this one, and the other one in question, from being held liable for what people say in postings. Basically, the venue cannot be punished for providing a free speech forum.

However, it is my non-lawyerly guess that by deliberately squelching posts and entire threads regarding the problem vendor, the forum in question has lost any right to call itself merely a venue, but now could be considered an active participant in the "discussion" and may have lost their immunity. By squelching threads in order to "protect" themselves, they may have hoisted themselves by their own petard. :D:D:D

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Since you said that the owner of the offending buisness advertizes on that paticular forum, maybe he owns the rights to that forum also. Having bad experiences posted on his forum about his business for the whole world to see offended him more.
Could be why refunds were also made. Now he's fishing for a good reponse, but the damge was done.
And in my opinion...If the Gauge is getting slammed on other forums because we're to Big Brother they have bigger problems than us....
Best to find another forum......I know a real good one....You're already on it.