Interesting Dillema....

guppyman

We were sitting around pondering what to do with the house over the weekend when my girlfriend commented that she wishes we could knock out the wall between what is now our office/crafts room and my train room and turn that into a bedroom and bathroom downstairs.

So now I am really thinking about the idea... This would take me from the 12' x 12' area that I have yet to decide how to fill in N scale, up to an area that is around 15' x 23'. She was even suggesting that if I build it in what is now our bedroom, and ever decided to have people come see it, that since there is an outside entrance, it would be really convient.

So now.... How do I come up with the $$$$ to do the remodel (complete with large bathroom, jacuzzi tub and large closet) and still have leftover funding for my train empire????

jon-monon

She'll just have to get a third job :D :D :D

I say if you can swing it, go for it! You can never have too much room. You may later go to a larger scale or need more room than what you think. You can always use a workbench and a photo area :)

roryglasgow

I'm afraid that I don't have any solutions to your problem... I kinda wish I was in your shoes. :):) I have a designated corner of the dining room that is my "train space." Unfortunately, lack of time and money have prevented me from building a layout there. And as time goes on, I've discovered that I'm in a pitch battle with my wife over the use of the space. It's still "my" space, but so far she's put in a mirror (surrounded with candle wall sconces) and is contemplating putting a deep freeze in, too. At this rate I'll be building my layout on the ceiling in one of the closets... :rolleyes:

Tyson Rayles

Rory have you considered getting one of those 8X10 storage sheds (wood not metal), They come wired and plumbed if you want. If you move again it can be loaded on a rollback and taken to your new location. :D :D :D :D Course a man of your means (prez and CEO of Copper Ridge R.R.) I'd go for the 12X20 model! :rolleyes: :D

cidchase

Hi guppy,
Sounds like a plan to me!! The banks are offering real low-cost second mortgages right now (equity loans, home-improvement loans, whatever they call them), and some of the building supply outfits are offering no payments/no interest for the next 12 months! U can find some real deals.....

So now there's no excuse, you gotta go for it! Just remember to check for load bearing when you go removing walls!!! Don't want that upstairs BR to move downstairs on its own!! I remember reading somewhere on the forum about a tremendous sag in the ceiling of somebody's train room...... :D :D :D

Russ Bellinis

Originally posted by cidchase
Hi guppy,
Sounds like a plan to me!! The banks are offering real low-cost second mortgages right now (equity loans, home-improvement loans, whatever they call them), and some of the building supply outfits are offering no payments/no interest for the next 12 months! U can find some real deals.....

So now there's no excuse, you gotta go for it! Just remember to check for load bearing when you go removing walls!!! Don't want that upstairs BR to move downstairs on its own!! I remember reading somewhere on the forum about a tremendous sag in the ceiling of somebody's train room...... :D :D :D

I remember reading about John Allen's Gorre & Depheated, that he had removed so many columns to make room for the railroad in the basement that anyone walking in up stairs rooms had to walk sideways with their backs against the walls to keep from being in danger of falling through the floor into the train room.