Interested in input on eliminating Marklin Z isolator tracks.

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Amazonas, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Amazonas

Amazonas New Member

I don't like the Marklin Z isolator tracks much. They place an unslightly connector tab beside the track which I have to figure out how to cover up, and the flat plastic on the roadbed I am finding awkward now I am starting to ballast.

I am wondering about eliminating them and cutting a break in an ordinary piece of track instead and soldering wires to it.
    I have never done this before and would appreciate input from anyone who has experience in this or who has done any direct soldering of wires to track.

Thanks !
  2. CarlFidy

CarlFidy Member

When we do feeders on the local Ntrak club modules, we drill a hole on the outside of the rail between two ties just big enough for our wire (18 AWG). Strip 1/8 to 3/16 of the wire, put a 90 degree bend, and tuck the wire into the web on the outside of the rail, and solder in place. Feeders go on the outside of the rail so they won't interfere with the wheel flanges on the inside.

For cutting gaps we use a dremel, preferably with a flex shaft, and a cutoff wheel. Just make sure you cut all the way through the rail. We then glue a piece of styrene in the gap to make sure the rails cannot slide or expand back together. After the glue sets, file the piece fo styrene to match the rail shape.