insulating flex track

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Need some help once again, please.

I have finally decided on my track plan. Starting to build my work bench. I will be useing mostly all atlas code 55 flex track. I will be soldering most, if not all my track. But if i will be soldering all my my track, how and what do i do to insulate my track for my DC blocks?
Do i need to cut my track, where my blocks begin. And then fill the cuts in with something so the electric current doesn't travel to my next block? I know i can't solder the plastic insulated joiners. Not sure about this one.

CAS

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi CAS,
A lot of folks will say that its not a bad plan to leave some joints unsoldered to accomdate slight movement of track due to humidity changes in the room. That being said, your insulated rail joiners will fit the bill for electrically separating blocks. If you want to solder most or all joints than yes, you cut the track for your blocks. Typically the block is then filled with a little piece of styrene glued in place and then filed down to conform with your track height.
Ralph

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Soldering the track is to ensure electrical continuity. Insulated gaps are to prevent electrical continuity. Soldering also helps smooth the joints on a curve.
I use the plastic joiners and try not to have a gap on a curve. I've also seen people cut gaps with a motor tool and glue a piece of wood or plastic in to keep the rail ends apart. You need to consider rail alignment at the joint; unfortunately plastic joiners aren't stiff enough to do a really good job.